Where have all the decent honest people gone?

If 1p turned up in your bank account by accident would you notify the bank?

The person who kept the money stumbled upon it. Same as the person walking down the path. If you are going to define that as stealing then the same rule must apply to taking anything you find, be that 1p.

Again a whole different scenario, but I do inform the bank if my accounts are not correct, yes.

There have been very few times that such a thing have happened though.

Maybe once when I was paid twice.

Would I do it for 1p, no because the banks will reclaim all money owed to them or whoever, and it would cost them (and me in fees, bank charges etc) more than 1p to make that call.

Like I said you just keep throwing unrelated scenarios into the mix.

Do I keep 1p if I find it on the street, of course that's when it becomes finders keepers.

And if the bank didn't reclaim it, it would be exactly what it is, a gift.

Again a whole different scenario, but I do inform the bank if my accounts are not correct, yes.

There have been very few times that such a thing have happened though.

Maybe once when I was paid twice.

Would I do it for 1p, no because the banks will reclaim all money owed to them or whoever, and it would cost them (and me in fees, bank charges etc) more than 1p to make that call.

Like I said you just keep throwing unrelated scenarios into the mix.

Do I keep 1p if I find it on the street, of course that's when it becomes finders keepers.

And if the bank didn't reclaim it, it would be exactly what it is, a gift.

It was finders keepers for the next person to use the machine. I give the examples because they're differing forms of the same thing.

THIS ^^^ is what you said as a first response. You may have racked back on it later, when you realised how bad it looked, but I don't actually believe you. Sorry to be a Doubting Thomas but I believe that your first instinct would be the truer one.

I didn't change it becasue it "looked bad", I don't care what people on an internet forum think about me, I thought about it and decided I would have given it to the person if I saw them stood 2 foot away, but I'd have had it if there was nobody about.

I'm pure evil, obviously.

It was finders keepers for the next person to use the machine. I give the examples because they're differing forms of the same thing.

No they are not I'm afraid, one is illegal the other isn't as I am trying to educate you.

You see the law states.

Law of finding

Here is a wiki that goes into depth for you.

I don't even know why you continue to battle on with your lost cause in a diminishing society with no regard for law.

Nothing in that link states that the rule only applies to monies over a certain amount. It still applies. Be it a penny or £1,000,000, no-one has claimed it.

I'll point it out for you.

The police have no special rights in regard to articles lost, unless those rights are conferred by statute. Receivers of articles found are trustees for the owner or finder. They have no power to keep an article against the finder, any more than the finder has to retain an article against the owner.

The guy that took the money, took it in the presence of the owner without consent.

There is a statute for that, it's called theft or more specifically, larceny.

Larceny involves the trespassory taking of possession of personal property from another person.

I think you'll find the person who took it trespassed against the bank in taking possession of personal property from another person.

The area of space that is the atm, I.E. the area that you have to enter to take the money belongs to the bank, the boundary is clearly defined by the wall it is placed in.

You place your hands into that space and you are entering the bank.

I'll point it out for you.

The guy that took the money, took it in the presence of the owner without consent.

There is a statute for that, it's called theft or more specifically, larceny.

The owner had walked away. We don't know the quality of the person's eyesight. Against the owner implies the owner asked for it back. She didn't.

The owner had walked away. We don't know the quality of the person's eyesight. Against the owner implies the owner asked for it back. She didn't.

The machine didn't have time to take it back, it was stolen from the atm.

The owner never claimed the money from the atm, the money still belongs to the bank, the thief stole it from the bank, not the owner of the money who never claimed it within the 30 seconds it didn't take for the bank to take back the offer because some swift fingered thief nabbed it.

You see nobody can come along and just claim things, if that was the case I'd be able to claim all these cars that appear to be lying around, if nobody claims them within 30 seconds I have a right to take them?

Nonsense.

The exact same scenario would be me offering you £10 that I owe you and you've asked for, to have you walk away (for whatever reason it doesn't matter) without accepting that offer, then someone comes along and steals the money before I have chance to put it back in my pocket.

In the meantime I can't blame the person I owe £10 to for it because they never took my offer, even though they asked for an offer.

The bank should reimburse esha and seek justice from the thief.

As was done with the case in Indonesia.

Archived