Should religous opinion override the law?

That is Jewish law as you should know by now and even the Jews don't follow it. :)

This has become your favourite excuse lately for anything nasty in the old testament. Are you saying the god of the Jews is not the same entity as your god? Are you now discarding the whole of the old testament because it doesn't apply to Christians?

When the bible says god spoke to Moses, was that the Jew's god or your god?

The law we have now, but applied equally to all. And no further changes to it without proper debate.

Although I agree, this is much easier said than done. What is proper debate? There is a risk that society could pass laws which discriminate against particular faiths. I must stress that I don't think it has happened, just that it might. So we must make sure that the proper debate protects against this.

The thread's now onto page 3, but nobody's bettered this answer.

Because that's so right.

Of course, the laws should all apply directly to the world in which we live (ie. no pointless 16th century laws) and only common sense and reason should be applied to laws.

Religion, for all its good intentions, should stay far far away from the court room.

Isn't it interesting, though, that the law, which relies on *fact*, is so frequently mixed with religion?

This has become your favourite excuse lately for anything nasty in the old testament. Are you saying the god of the Jews is not the same entity as your god? Are you now discarding the whole of the old testament because it doesn't apply to Christians?

When the bible says god spoke to Moses, was that the Jew's god or your god?

Moses was at one with the Almighty but his brother Aaron built an idol to Baal in the form of a golden calf that was god to many people.

Because that's so right.

Of course, the laws should all apply directly to the world in which we live (ie. no pointless 16th century laws) and only common sense and reason should be applied to laws.

Religion, for all its good intentions, should stay far far away from the court room.

Isn't it interesting, though, that the law, which relies on *fact*, is so frequently mixed with religion?

Is it not 'fact' that we shouldn't lie, steal and murder etc. Surely that is 'good' law.

Although I agree, this is much easier said than done. What is proper debate? There is a risk that society could pass laws which discriminate against particular faiths. I must stress that I don't think it has happened, just that it might. So we must make sure that the proper debate protects against this.

We vote for an MP. They debate the proposed new law. The lords is the check and balance. The courts set presidents ( if I spelt that right) the appeal courts are the check and balance. It's for the most part worked for hundreds of years. Now we have the EU checking that. However over the last 10 years or so cabinets have pushed in some laws that restrict our freedoms way beyond what was needed.

I was listening to this couple on the radio the other day.

The link regards Christian foster parents who lost the right to be foster parents due to their views on homosexuality. Whilst I don't want to go into the case it did raise a valid issue.

Should people of faith be allowed a certain flexibility of the law to allow for their beliefs?

Should a man be allowed 7 wives if his faith in his god and his teachings required him to do that?

No, othewise we will have christians, muslims jews and any other loony outfit wanting their own way.

No, othewise we will have christians, muslims jews and any other loony outfit wanting their own way.

The law has worked fine for along time. During that time we have had the above religions here. Militant Islam is not new. However political correctness is out of control. At times it's outright racist

Archived