Petrol station chaos - a question

Has anyone else noticed the increased waiting times and congestion on petrol station forecourts?

Obviously the closure of some petrol stations over the years and the increase of car usage has not helped the situation but what I do not understand is why do many motorists ( and I have to say from my observations mainly female drivers) think that because their fuel flap/inlet is situated, lets say on the drivers right side, then they have to use a fuel terminal on the right side of their vehicle? Why do some motorists not realize that the fuel hose/pipe from the terminal actually stretches and will reach their petrol inlets whichever side of the car they are on? So, for example, a terminal on the left, the hose/pipe, will actually reach over to the drivers side on the right!

From what I have seen a large percentage of fuel caps are on the drivers side of the car so this creates a long line of cars all waiting for a terminal on the right side of the station causing gridlock in and out of the station thus blocking access to all the mainly empty terminals on the left! One petrol station where I have noticed this problem is shell at St Philips.

Total chaos at times.

I hope this petrol etiquette public information message helps to educate drivers who never realized that the fuel pipe stretches more than six inches and helps to reduce carbon emissions whilst waiting half an hour to fill up!

Toodle pip!

Has anyone else noticed the increased waiting times and congestion on petrol station forecourts?

Obviously the closure of some petrol stations over the years and the increase of car usage has not helped the situation but what I do not understand is why do many motorists ( and I have to say from my observations mainly female drivers) think that because their fuel flap/inlet is situated, lets say on the drivers right side, then they have to use a fuel terminal on the right side of their vehicle? Why do some motorists not realize that the fuel hose/pipe from the terminal actually stretches and will reach their petrol inlets whichever side of the car they are on? So, for example, a terminal on the left, the hose/pipe, will actually reach over to the drivers side on the right!

From what I have seen a large percentage of fuel caps are on the drivers side of the car so this creates a long line of cars all waiting for a terminal on the right side of the station causing gridlock in and out of the station thus blocking access to all the mainly empty terminals on the left! One petrol station where I have noticed this problem is shell at St Philips.

Total chaos at times.

I hope this petrol etiquette public information message helps to educate drivers who never realized that the fuel pipe stretches more than six inches and helps to reduce carbon emissions whilst waiting half an hour to fill up!

Toodle pip!

WOW, you are a fountain of wisdom.

I've just spoke about this on another thread. Its the variety of sizes that are available for chocolate bars.....there's normal and there's king size; pondering on which to buy is whats causing the hold up. The council should step in, normal size only, keep it simple, keep Sheffield moving smoothly.

I've just spoke about this on another thread. Its the variety of sizes that are available for chocolate bars.....there's normal and there's king size; pondering on which to buy is whats causing the hold up. The council should step in, normal size only, keep it simple, keep Sheffield moving smoothly.

:hihi: yes and the assistant behind the counter trying to sell you two bars for £1. I get asked eveytime I'm trying to pay for fuel. I now say at the counter the number of my terminal and then 'no chocolate' before he has the chance to ask. I think he's got the message now.

As already said, not all petrol station hoses are long enough to stretch over to the other side of the car. I scratched my car with the plastic bit on the nozzle when I'd only had it a few weeks by trying to use one that was just too short.

Some petrol stations have signs outright telling you that the hoses are long and can be used on both sides. Got to say, it does seem to help reduce the uneven spread of queues.

not every petrol station have the hoses that strench over to over side of car

Which ones are these then? If you drive close enough to the terminal i think you will find they all reach. It is a legal requirement under the health and safety fuel hose length of fuel retailers 1984 act that all flexible fuel hoses are able to reach further than 2.63726327 metres.:roll:

The real problem is that people leave their car at the pump while they do their shopping and I am not talking about just getting a pint of milk and some bread.

Queues of cars outside and queues of people inside, just what you need when all you have done is fill up the car with fuel, perhaps they could have an express till just for fuel payments.

Archived