Malaria in Morocco

GP's aren't really the best source of information about malaria. They understandably enough err on the side of caution and will advise patients to take meds when there just isn't any need for them to do so. In most countries where malaria is present, it's only a very few areas where there is a risk. 90 per cent plus of the rest of the country is fine. It's really only in the very wildest jungle areas where there is any risk and even then you will almost certainly be fine if you take the normal precuations like wearing repellent and covering up. Dengue fever is a far more likelier thing to get from mosquito bites in the tropics than malaria.

There's no malaria anywhere near Morocco, zero chance of that. You might want some other vaccinations though, ask your doctor.

The other vaccinations are already covered and further vaccinations for the rest of Africa, I just wondered about the information I found online, as I said, all sorted now!

malaria used to be massively endemic in North Africa and the Middle East, like 100 years ago, but not any more. You hear a lot about so-called 'resurgence' of malaria, it is a serious disease and any new case anywhere is bad news, but in actual fact the fight against malaria is one of the big wins of public health. 100 years ago, loads of people had to live with malaria in even the United States, and as many as 1 in 4 people in parts of a state like Tennessee, and where it can and does snow, and which isn't even tropical, were infected with the disease. These days, nobody gets malaria in the US, even in the semi-tropical bit of Florida, and the only full-on tropical state and the only state where it will not snow - Hawaii. Large parts of the world, where malaria used to be endemic, is now free of it.

only place I've ever taken anti-malarial meds is Malawi and Zambia. Especially Malawi, parts of that country, malarial infection rate is very bad and basically, if you live there long enough, you will eventually contract it, unless you happen to have an exceptionally good immune system.

the problem with anti-malarial meds, is that nobody can possibly take them indefinitely. If you live in a malarial area, you have to ultimately defend against infection in other ways than taking meds. It's perplexing for westerners, because their immune systems aren't usually as good as defending against it than locals.

Don't worry about Malaria......it isn't there. BUT.....watch yourself if you choose to go to the souks. :hihi:

As for the water.......I didn't drink the local stuff because apparantly it's so pure that it will upset your stomach. I don't know how true that was but I didn't take the risk anyhow.

If you are going for a holiday......have fun and enjoy yourself. Hope you like mint tea. :)

Don't worry about Malaria......it isn't there. BUT.....watch yourself if you choose to go to the souks. :hihi:

As for the water.......I didn't drink the local stuff because apparantly it's so pure that it will upset your stomach. I don't know how true that was but I didn't take the risk anyhow.

If you are going for a holiday......have fun and enjoy yourself. Hope you like mint tea. :)

Thanks for the advice ;)

Yeah we're going for a holiday just so it does seem like we're waiting as long until the proper African holiday the year after!

Archived