Fishmonger at Darnall 1970's

Kit!

Does anyone remember the fishmonger that used to be in Darnall?

I remember going there with my Mum between 1977 & 1981 & a couple of doors down was the papershop.(Sorry i'm crap with road names).

I think he was called Billy/Bill & was always cheery & he had a lady who worked with him (I remember attending her 50th or 60th birthday bash as she invited most of her customers)but, alas!, I forget her name.

That's when shopkeepers saw you right:)

mr lingard. he was there for 40 years + & he was an ace with the fillet knife to watch him carve a giant cod was brilliant, in his 80's he told me that morrisons hadnt put him out of work but the toerags who wrecked his shop not once but twice. the paper shop was parish's there was a davies grocer shop about where the betting shop is now used to be a Sharmans fishing tackle shop. childs chemist across the road an another grocer shop called burgins at the side of it, round the corner was lindy lees ladies clothes shop

Among the fishmongers shown in the 1973 Kelly's Directory, E. Lidgard was at 168 Main Road, Darnall [there was a paper shop at No 178] while not far away at No 232 Main Road was (appropriately enough) G. Fish..:)

mr lingard. he was there for 40 years + & he was an ace with the fillet knife to watch him carve a giant cod was brilliant, in his 80's he told me that morrisons hadnt put him out of work but the toerags who wrecked his shop not once but twice. the paper shop was parish's there was a davies grocer shop about where the betting shop is now used to be a Sharmans fishing tackle shop. childs chemist across the road an another grocer shop called burgins at the side of it, round the corner was lindy lees ladies clothes shop

So was his name Bill or Billy. I remember his shop being targeted by scum as he did a real good turn-over of trade, so they obviously expected money left on the premises:roll:. I always thought he just 'retired' as he was about 100yrs old when we moved away!:hihi: Is he still alive?? & what was the lady called who worked with him?

This scan from the 1973 directory showing businesses on Main Road, Darnall might bring back a few memories for Darnall folk "of a certain age"..:) E. Lidgard evidently took over the business from W. Smith who is shown at No 168 in the 1968 directory.

This scan from the 1973 directory showing businesses on Main Road, Darnall might bring back a few memories for Darnall folk "of a certain age"..:) E. Lidgard evidently took over the business from W. Smith who is shown at No 168 in the 1968 directory.

Billy Smith! Fab! or was it???? I wish i could pull my memory to the fore!

sorry cant say if he is still alive, and he was always mr lingard to me. he would certainly be 100 now. good grief i;m remembering other shops now---Shentall was where halifax is or was it the gambling place. Blaskeys bottom Iving St. Seniors the jewllers bottom of ronald rd. & across from there was a great pork shop who had the best ever black pudding ever. mucky dick was the picture house where the lamp shop is. there were shops where the car park is at the bottom of prince of wales rd. a pet shop,sweet shop, cobblers then Sharmans moved into the cobblers shop

Gary is the butcher in Wrays shop now i think he was an apprentist with Wrays. my OH loved the fishcakes from Lomas chippy but i found them peppery. I had forgotten Fletchers! Dobsons took over from Hukins & there was the snooker hall above. Used to be a gift shop by the bus stops,my aunt bought me a 'diamond bracelet' from there, i still put it on the xmas tree. (it took me awhile to see it was glass! well i was only young)

What about Mays the Plumbers few doors past Lidgards. I remember a very old fashioned couple with 2 sons. They lived in the detached house on Fisher Lane above the Bradwell Well.
Yes - Albert Frederick May is shown in directories at 156 Main Road as long ago as 1925. Public records show that he was born at Masbrough, Rotherham on 17 January 1882 and died aged 88 in Oct-Dec 1972. He married a Lancashire-born tailoress, Edith Annie Makins, in 1907. They actually had three sons - George Arthur (1919-1974), Arthur Makins (1922-2001) and Dennis M. (born 1924) Dennis is shown at 83 Fisher Lane in 1960s/70s directories; he now lives at Norton.

Archived