SAS caught in Libya ?

Dont know why they were on the ground , but the explanation that they were there to make contact with rebel leaders sounds like a cover !

Wouldnt it be easier just to contact them through the reporters and others already on the ground ?

Why send a elite soldiers in? To send a message ? To make contact and say what? Hello , keep pumping us oil please ?

Your views please .

Oil Workers Rescued by Sas in Libya Return Home

Somebody said on the news a few days ago that there were a large number of British citizens working in remote parts of Libya who were unable to make it to a coastal city to be evacuated.

Yes that could be expected , but the explanation given by the media ( namely BBC ) said it has been revealed that they were there to make contact with rebel leaders !

8 SAS and a junior diplomat captured by Libyan rebels according to Reuters:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/06/uk-britain-libya-sas-idUKTRE72507C20110306

As to be expected, The Mail thinks it's cracking idea to put British military into Libya:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363187/Libya-unrest-UK-spies-SAS-troops-poised-help-Libyan-rebels.html

"Fancy your chances against the SAS, Gaddafi?" is the actual headline.

My view is that the SAS are a secret unit. Even if the MOD explain why they were there, there may be reasons they don't tell the truth.

Simple answer is to protect British interests.

Personally, I'd like to see UK/US/NATO/UN troops there Gadaffi is a maniac & he needs to be stopped. I'd much rather see us invade there than Iraq or Afghanistan.

everything our Government does isn't bad, maybe bad for Libya but these men would have been sent in for reasons well thought out and mainly to safeguard British lives/interests. In a volatile situation as it is now in Libya there are ample reasons for SAS to be there. Let's hope they come out of this safely.

This government just can't help itself! A secret unit now confirmed in Benghazi, a secret unit. Yet they are on the BBC confirming it. Why don't they just keep quiet? Media pressure? What a bunch of cowards our government are. They cut the military. Now they send them into that arm pit country, knowing a small special force units best weapon is its anonymity. What ever you say say nothing, what ever happens to that? I doubt these guys are thanking our leaders right now.

Archived