SAS caught in Libya ?

Why are we paying to rescue oil workers? These people are making vast fortunes and paying little or no tax. Why don't the enormously rich oil companies pay?

BP paid £5 billion UK tax in 2009 and £10 billion tax the year before when oil prices were higher.

They also paid £6.6 billion in dividends, mainly to UK pension funds, who in turn paid £660,000,000 in tax to the UK.

Really? We killed or helped to kill his kids trying to kill him. Only in recent times have we tried to work with this leader. The trade off was merky, but Better than yet more military action.

agree - I am no fan of gaddafi, but he is entitled to resist an armed insurrection in Libya as much as any other country would be and his experience is that the West is to be feared and resisted as well - they killed his daughter in an indiscriminate bombing! the US and UK are decrying the use of helicpters to put down an insurgency whilst doing exactly the same in iraq and afghanistan only on a far greater scale.

The arrest of the SAS team suggests that british involvement/interference/invasion is NOT what the anti gaddafi side are after.

Last night I watched a programme about "The Man Who Never Was". An elaborate deception to make the Germans think the Allies were about to invade Sardinia. It resulted in whole divisions being moved from the real attack zone in Sicily The landings there were hardly opposed and resulted in thousands of ALLIED lives being saved..

It just shows that you should never take anything at face value. It did occur to me that everything could just be a ruse to make people think the SAS were actually involved in Libya.

One thing is for certain is that any government statements will be in conjunction with the military and designed to aid any stratergy that this country might have towards the troubles and extracting UK citizens. The success of any mission is judged when it is over. As far as I am aware no British citizens have lost their lives so far despite the difficulties of getting them out of hostile territory.

Really? We killed or helped to kill his kids trying to kill him. Only in recent times have we tried to work with this leader. The trade off was merky, but Better than yet more military action.

Sorry, I thought we were discussing UK involvement here not American involvement, even they didn't wake up one morning and think 'shall we bomb libya today'.

The trade off wasn't murky unless you have cataracts, he was arming and training every nut job with a cause, then all of a sudden he turned into some Nelson Mandela figure. Not. We shouldn't be there unless we go through diplomatic procedure. If this was US navy seals SF would have a spleen burst.

Well, his argument previously was that he held no power, power was held by the people - so he (according to his own words) does not have any right to combat an insurrection by the people.

no - I'm talking about legally, a sovereign state has the right to defend itself even if you, I or uncle sam don't like it, if the libyan uprising is handled properly , I'm all for it and look forward to the Saudis being next, but the point is that gaddafi is not acting illegally, there is no evidence at all of genocide and countries all over the world act similarly and worse without the response that Libya has received - Israel responded to their perceived threats by destroying south lebanon and Gaza, (killing1500+ palestinians in the process), the US, UK and Aussies removed falluja from the map killing thousands and using white phosphorous against civilians - it looks like a clamour to get grubby hands on all that luvverly oil to me.

PS there were no WMDs in Iraq, it wasn't true, it wasn't a mistake it was a lie - let's learn a lesson from history here folks.

the enemy within makes a comment

A valid one.

no - I'm talking about legally, a sovereign state has the right to defend itself even if you, I or uncle sam don't like it, if the libyan uprising is handled properly , I'm all for it and look forward to the Saudis being next, but the point is that gaddafi is not acting illegally, there is no evidence at all of genocide and countries all over the world act similarly and worse without the response that Libya has received - Israel responded to their perceived threats by destroying south lebanon and Gaza, (killing1500+ palestinians in the process), the US, UK and Aussies removed falluja from the map killing thousands and using white phosphorous against civilians - it looks like a clamour to get grubby hands on all that luvverly oil to me.

PS there were no WMDs in Iraq, it wasn't true, it wasn't a mistake it was a lie - let's learn a lesson from history here folks.

Good post.

There may yet be more lies and deception but we won't be able to judge that till after the hostilities cease. So far however there doesn't seem to be the gung-ho rhetoric that Bush spouted (apart from the tin hat brigade on here of course) but measured diplomatic approach, so maybe all is not as it was with Iraq.

Archived