Fry 's chocolate spread.

Can anyone else remember this chocolate spread which was sold in the 50's in waxed cardboard tubs.When this disappeared,Cadbury,s produced a similar recipe sold in plastic tubs.As a child I was addicted to it on bread and butter.

I can still recall the taste which was nothing like any of the chocolate spreads on sale today.

I wish someone would resurrect the recipe just so that I could sample it again.I know there is a Cadbury spread on sale now,but the original one was more plain choc than Dairy milk.

Can anyone else remember this chocolate spread which was sold in the 50's in waxed cardboard tubs.When this disappeared,Cadbury,s produced a similar recipe sold in plastic tubs.As a child I was addicted to it on bread and butter.

I can still recall the taste which was nothing like any of the chocolate spreads on sale today.

I wish someone would resurrect the recipe just so that I could sample it again.I know there is a Cadbury spread on sale now,but the original one was more plain choc than Dairy milk.

It was made by Frys in Bristol,but the takeover of Frys meant that production was switched to Keynsham and the spread carried on there.It was ideal for filling sponges and using as icing.You could probably acieve a similar consistency using dark choc, cocoa,and a light spread and a little sugar to taste.I reckon it could work well.

• 1 month later...

Oh how I remember the Fry's chocolate spread !! born in 1952 when I was about 5 yrs old this is what myself and older brother had for breakfast and dinner , chocolate spread on toast !

I now have a Thai stepdaughter who at 13 yr old has come to live with me and has made me buy "nuttella" chocolate nutty spread not as good as Fry's but passable , and tonight I googled Fry's and that is how I found myself here .

Brings back memories with the waxed carton , funny how you remember things .

Steve

Oh how I remember the Fry's chocolate spread !! born in 1952 when I was about 5 yrs old this is what myself and older brother had for breakfast and dinner , chocolate spread on toast !

I now have a Thai stepdaughter who at 13 yr old has come to live with me and has made me buy "nuttella" chocolate nutty spread not as good as Fry's but passable , and tonight I googled Fry's and that is how I found myself here .

Brings back memories with the waxed carton , funny how you remember things .

Steve

Just to add to my OP,I have since discovered a Waitrose product called "seriously chocolatey chocolate spread" which is a lot more like the Fry's one.....but relatively more expensive.Give it a try,it's certainly a good product.

• 1 year later...

gosh, this took me back to the 1940s - early 50s. i was born with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. the only food that i could keep down was fry's chocolate spread sandwiches with the edges cut off. i absolutely loved them then, and wish i could get fry's chocolate spread now!