Are Barnsley folk as bad as the LibDems say!

Ah, the OP has returned.

Perhaps you could now justify this sentence:

"According to the Barnsley central Lib Dem candidate, Barnsley folk are narrow minded racists."

Could you please directly quote the part where you think he said this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1363388/What-like-despised-man-town-political-correctness-forgot-come-SIXTH-election.html

According to the Barnsley central Lib Dem candidate, Barnsley folk are narrow minded racists. Do you agree? And what will the Lib Dems say about Sheffield people if they get kicked out of office?

Classic racist libcon backstabing. Oblivion is where they are heading.

Ah, the OP has returned.

Perhaps you could now justify this sentence:

"According to the Barnsley central Lib Dem candidate, Barnsley folk are narrow minded racists."

Could you please directly quote the part where you think he said this?

Can I refer you to his remarks about the mixed race couple and his comments about some Barnsley people never traveling to places like Nottingham.

I did include the Mail on Sunday link, and if you want to put another interpretation of what was reported, you are, of course, at liberty to do so.

Can I refer you to his remarks about the mixed race couple and his comments about some Barnsley people never traveling to places like Nottingham.

You mean this bit:

A white man approaches me in panic on the street. He tells me he is from Luton, and has moved recently with his black partner:

‘Can you do something to change attitudes here if you are elected?’ he asks frantically.

‘Whenever we go into local pubs, people openly call my partner “n*****” and “w**”, and no one says a word.’

and this bit:

Openly disparaging the nearby cosmopolitan hubs of Leeds and Sheffield, some Barnsley people have never even visited either city.

Nope still not calling people from Barnsley narrow minded racists.

You can, and in no way do they constitute him saying that "Barnsley folk are narrow minded racists".

The bit with the couple? You mean this bit:

"A white man approaches me in panic on the street. He tells me he is from Luton, and has moved recently with his black partner:

‘Can you do something to change attitudes here if you are elected?’ he asks frantically.

‘Whenever we go into local pubs, people openly call my partner “n*****” and “w**”, and no one says a word.’"

So that's him quoting someone else, who is talking from personal experience. There is absolutely no generalisation on his part about Barnsley people.

And the line 'Openly disparaging the nearby cosmopolitan hubs of Leeds and Sheffield, some Barnsley people have never even visited either city.'

That is a statement of fact, and not a generalisation about all Barnsley people.

I did include the Mail on Sunday link, and if you want to put another interpretation of what was reported, you are, of course, at liberty to do so.
It's not a matter of interpretation. He quite simply did not say what you claimed he said.

For the record I'm no lib dem, I just get annoyed when people try to spin the news in such a dishonest way.

You can, and in no way do they constitute him saying that "Barnsley folk are narrow minded racists".

The bit with the couple? You mean this bit:

"A white man approaches me in panic on the street. He tells me he is from Luton, and has moved recently with his black partner:

‘Whenever we go into local pubs, people openly call my partner “n*****” and “w**”, and no one says a word.’"

So that's him quoting someone else, who is talking from personal experience. There is absolutely no generalisation on his part about Barnsley people.

And the line 'Openly disparaging the nearby cosmopolitan hubs of Leeds and Sheffield, some Barnsley people have never even visited either city.'

That is a statement of fact, and not a generalisation about all Barnsley people.

It's not a matter of interpretation. He quite simply did not say what you claimed he said.

For the record I'm no lib dem, I just get annoyed when people try to spin the news in such a dishonest way.

Well sorry if I annoyed you. I was equally annoyed that a LibDem parliamentary candidate should seek to evoke the race card in explaining his overwhelming defeat.

And for the record, while I did not quote him word for word, I think my description of what he said was very accurate.

Its probably not justified to call them narrow minded racists, their first loyalty is to Barnsley.

I wonder why, unlike Doncaster, Rotherham or Sheffield, there are no ethnic minorities to be seen anywhere in Barnsley.

I'm sure it's just some freakish coincidence.

Well sorry if I annoyed you. I was equally annoyed that a LibDem parliamentary candidate should seek to evoke the race card in explaining his overwhelming defeat.
That's clearly not what he said.

He blamed the overwhelming defeat on the fact that everyone hates nick clegg, and on the fact that they see the government as a tory one, he even said as much pretty plainly near the beginning of the article.

"Opinion is divided as to what enrages people most.

Some think Clegg ‘despicable’, ‘wicked’ and ‘criminal’ for reneging on the tuition-fees pledge.

One woman rants at me for five minutes, breaking down in tears at the thought of her teenage children ‘being saddled with a lifetime of debt’.

Another volunteers: ‘You should be ashamed to come here and sell your poison to poor people like me.’

For others, it is ‘getting into bed with the Tories’ that is the greatest sin.

Barnsley folk –mostly cordial, reticent and keen to keep their own counsel – are the sons and daughters of men who toiled in the pits, lionised Arthur Scargill and fought through the bitter Miners’ Strike of 1984-85.

For them, there are few more hateful words in the English language than ‘Tory’ or ‘Conservative’.

‘Thatcher was worse than bloody Hitler,’ shouts one man. ‘Cameron and Clegg – I’d like to kill the pair of them,’ volunteers another. ‘Clegg dare not come here, there would be a lynch mob,’ echoes a passer-by.

Some Barnsley citizens view yellow rosettes as worse then blue ones.

Lib Dems are the enablers and facilitators of what they see as a purely Tory government, not a Coalition of two parties."

He's not playing the race card, he's blaming it on the fact that people in Barnsley see them as puppets for the tories and despise Nick Clegg for not living up to his promises.

It's in plain english, how did you miss it?

And for the record, while I did not quote him word for word, I think my description of what he said was very accurate.
And yet you are unable to show where he said it, isn't that rather like sticking your fingers in your ears and saying 'I'm right' over and over?

Archived