I've Joined A Gym

I've started my new year resolution and joined Greens gym. It's the first time I've EVER joined a gym and haven't done any exercise for about three years!

Does anyone have any tips about how to make the most of it, how to get the most out of the membership, how not to be totally knackered and not ache too much, what to avoid, what to do more of to get better results, etc?

I don't have a personal trainer, and have literally just been given a timetable of classes and the weights room sounds like it's a free for all.......I have to plan my own training. Suggestions?

Originally posted by Classic Rock

I've started my new year resolution and joined Greens gym. It's the first time I've EVER joined a gym and haven't done any exercise for about three years!

Does anyone have any tips about how to make the most of it, how to get the most out of the membership, how not to be totally knackered and not ache too much, what to avoid, what to do more of to get better results, etc?

I don't have a personal trainer, and have literally just been given a timetable of classes and the weights room sounds like it's a free for all.......I have to plan my own training. Suggestions?

A lot depends on what you are trying to achieve but here's some general advice.

- Take it slow to start and build up - slowly.

- Set yourself some goals. This will help keep you motivated.

- Rest is as important as exercise - don't overdo it or you will increase the risk of injury.

- If possible use a heart rate monitor. This will help you find an optimal level of exercise and also gives you feeback as your fitness improves.

- Stretch. From what I've read it's best to stretch AFTER you've warmed up. I do it as part of warming down.

- Try some 'streching' classes eg. Yoga or pilates. Not only will this help with improving flexibility it also aids relaxation.

Nomme

Always start by stretching - just copy all other bods in front of the mirror

Start off doing a bit of Cardio stuff, like cycling or treadmill.

You can start by walking on the treadmill and increase your pace each time you go and do it for a little longer each time too.Start off doing 10mins. The modern machines are very good, once you work out how to use them, they will monitor your heart rate and tell you how many calories you have expended - not sure how accurate they are.

I am surprised they have not set you a plan, you should ask for one if you can get one.

Cross trainers are very good too, you should get them to teach you how to use each machine.

You should also try and incorporate some weights to tone the body at some stage.

And also swimming.

Oh and dont forget the warm down and stretching afterwards.

Classes are good for extra activities

Which Gym have you joined?

All gyms (usually) have qualified fitness suite instructors working for them who should write you out a specific routine.

It all depends on what you want to achive (as Nomme said).

Rule of thumb as follows:

Just lose weight (possibly a little toning up) = a lot of cardiovascular training with mild light weight training.

This includes say I five minute warm up on the rowing machine.

Stretches.

Then some time on the treadmill >> Stepper >> Ski (walking) machine.

Pec Dec (light weight) lots of reps (12 - 15 per set).

Thigh machines

Sit Ups

For more toning then increase your weight machine workout.

Thigh Bums n Tums Aerobics is a very good all round weight loss toner uper programme (just make sure you get a beginners class).

Thai Bo is also good for internediate to advanced trainers (something for you to work up to).

Body Active shop at the bottom of the moor is very good for providing nutritional info and suppliments. They can also recommend some training tips.

HTH

I'm with you on the new member thing..

My new house resolution was to get out and join the gym at Hillsborough and following a rather dumb approach when I first joined one a few years back, I've learned to start easy and work up slow...

Really enjoying it..

I feel exhausted after reading all that. Yet.....I'm going to go for it. Looks like the first class will be tomorrow - there's an intermediate aerobics class....beginners may be a bit tooooo slow and easy - I can manage a good hour on the Corporation dance floor headbanging, so must have some fitness ability in there somehow.

I've never used the machines, so I'm going to wander in and see what the score is, I'm sure there'll be someone somewhere in there who can show me what to do.

I've joined Greens, which is just round the corner from the pub (near Ecclesall and it's Road) (and no, I'm not going to drive there). Absolutely bricking it - why the hell am I so nervous about this....? Will I break the machines? Will I break the floor? Will I fall over? Will I go in the wrong direction at aerobics? Will I faint? Ooooeeffff!

Archived