Are we forcing the banks out of the UK as HSBC considers moving overseas?

Once again there is speculation that HSBC will move its headquarter out of London. Sharholders are suggesting that a move to Hong Kong would save costs and increase share prices.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/232998/HSBC-tries-to-play-down-talk-it-will-leave-Britain

With the bad press the UK public has given to banks recently they can hardly feel welcome, but a move would cost the UK very dearly indeed.

HSBC makes profits of around £10 billion most years and pays huge amounts of corporation tax on its profits. It also emplys thousands of very highly paid people who pay taxes on their salaries and those massive bonuses. Even the tax on share dividends brings around £1 billion to the UK tax coffers.

Should we be doing more to stop big businesses like this from upping sticks and taking the jobs and tax pounds with them?

Sending them packing would cost us billions as it is; forbidding them to do trade would cost us even more, so what potential benefit are you imagining?

Good, I'll run a bank instead of them

Would you be extending that well thought out response to Santander as well?

Possibly, the time has come for business to put up or shut up. If they don't want to pay, ship them out, banish them of the british citizen and seize all their assets

Possibly, the time has come for business to put up or shut up. If they don't want to pay, ship them out, banish them of the british citizen and seize all their assets

I'm sure the rest of the world would respond in kind by seizing UK assetts in their countries. I can see you have a firm understanding of how to return a country to being a 3rd world economy.

Archived