3rd brake light on car, fail mot?

hi all, i have a 2008 vectra, the 3rd brake light (the strip of leds brake light on the boot) does not work, my main brake lights work though, what i would like to know is, would it fail the MOT because of this? also is it illegal to drive with the brake light in question not working and run the risk of getting stopped by the police? ive done a google search and some say its not compulsary so long as the 2 main brake lights work, some say if the car has one its got to be in working order or else its illegal.... :huh: im very confused. im taking the car for its first mot tommorow and i dont want it to fail on the brake light.

How difficult would it be to simply remove the third brake light, and just have the two that work?

I've always been led to believe that any light which you have fitted, must work, in order for the vehicle to be roadworthy. I'm not prepared to stake any money on it, though.

I'm fairly sure every brake light fitted to the car has to be working. I don't know if there is a rule stating that cars after a certain year must have the central brake light too. That would rule out removing it if there is.

would it fail the MOT because of this?

Yes.

also is it illegal to drive with the brake light in question not working and run the risk of getting stopped by the police?

Yes (I got stopped a couple of weeks ago because one of my brake lights had failed).

ive done a google search and some say its not compulsary so long as the 2 main brake lights work, some say if the car has one its got to be in working order or else its illegal

Any factory fitted lights must work for road legality in the UK.

Yes.

Yes (I got stopped a couple of weeks ago because one of my brake lights had failed).

Any factory fitted lights must work for road legality in the UK.

Does this apply to front fog lamps as well? The glass covers on mine are both shattered and one lamp doesn't work. It still passed its MOT :huh:

Does this apply to front fog lamps as well? The glass covers on mine are both shattered and one lamp doesn't work. It still passed its MOT :huh:

Cut and pasted from another site in relation to fog lamps.

The Law states:

"No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean."

Front fog lamps aren't in that paragraph

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uks...rmarkingdevice

Archived