To dye or not to dye??

Oompa, I would be really interested to know which home dye your sister uses to cover gray? I've been using the new nice and easy foam but although it claims to be permanent it appears to "wash off" my grey hairs after a while. I don't have many but I don't like them!! When I can afford to have my hair done in a salon the colour doesn't wash off in the same way.

When I used permanent home dyes they were never permanent at all - they just lasted about a month, maybe a bit longer if I didn't wash it every day. I've got red hair which is more difficult to dye than other colours but even so...

I think for proper permanent you have to go to the hairdresser, or get used to home dying every six weeks or so.

hi there,i too have long thin hair (always haveaaaaaa0..i had never put any dye whatsoever on mine until i was 32yrs?,a little extreme as i went blonde + had it cut really short bob type?.ha..the style looked great and did make me look younger and my hair thicker.the colour was a little extreme and once it had almost grown out (looking quite shabby) i went to a good hairdressers where they did a great job getting rid of the blonde alltogether.cost £60 but worth every penny.woodseats is where the hairdressers are and they are really good.unsure if over dying is due to how thin?,mine as always been thin and i never put anything on it previous to that time...i can relate to the STRESS part though.ha.

Oompa, I would be really interested to know which home dye your sister uses to cover gray? I've been using the new nice and easy foam but although it claims to be permanent it appears to "wash off" my grey hairs after a while. I don't have many but I don't like them!! When I can afford to have my hair done in a salon the colour doesn't wash off in the same way.

Hi this is what my sis has replied with, she uses nice and easy,( not the foam one) but has to leave it on for at least 45 mins to completely cover the grey and to get the colour to stay in! Hope that has helped.

Get your hair cut in a short modern style as it will make your hair look thicker, I think long thin hair can look lank and unflattering, it will be easier to colour as well which I would leaveto your hairdresser, good luck

Yes that's a good idea as a shorter hair style will definitely make it appear thicker and healthier.

Hi this is what my sis has replied with, she uses nice and easy,( not the foam one) but has to leave it on for at least 45 mins to completely cover the grey and to get the colour to stay in! Hope that has helped.

Aaah, so maybe i need to leave it on longer.

Thanks for the other comment too Jessica.

Aaah, so maybe i need to leave it on longer.

Thanks for the other comment too Jessica.

It might be worth changing your shampoo and conditioner, as some can strip hair colour out quite quickly. De-clarifying or medicated shampoos (like vosene) can pull dye out really quickly, where as ones designed for dyed hair can help to keep the colour in for longer.

I'd get it done at the hairdressers who can mix you a nice colour. I use Perfect 10 by Clairol, which is my fave.

My hair is a bit flat now it is getting longer, so I tend to backcomb it at the roots. There's those crimpers you can buy called root lift (or something like that), maybe try those? Also how often do you wash your hair? If it's everyday get some of the Bastiste dry shampoo - you can get another day out of it easy and it gives lift.

Archived