Buying a new car..

Some great suggestions coming through but considering my busget is around 5k, I doubt the Kia is affordable! and as I'm only 21 anything over a 2 litre engine could send my insurance up quite a lot....I'm liking the sound of the Focus/Golf/A3 so far....Golf's seem quite highly rated all over the internet...

There's an M series with a 2 litre diesel engine???

I was under the impression that the M3 had something a little bit livelier under the bonnet.

I think that was meant as an M-tech version (with factory sport bits), rather than M3/M5 as such.

OP, you should also consider a Volvo diesel.

I will readily own up that I used to take the rip about Volvos, full-on with the stereotypes and whatnot.

But now that I have had one for a short while and done some serious mileage in it, I must admit...they are really rather good, as family cars go. Damn side better than Focus, all the more surprising since they share the same base.

We should have gone for that in the first place, rather than Imprezas (you'll find Subarus all have a surprisingly large boot for their size, but forget about good MPG! :D )

Archived