Help! Something has fallen off my car!

Driving to work this morning there was a vibrating noise coming from the engine bay of my car, apart from this it seemed to be driving ok. After work on the way home whatever it was making the noise fell out onto the road. I went back to pick it up and took the picture below. I managed to drive the car home without any further problems.

Can anybody tell me what this is? Is the car safe to drive without it? Many Thanks :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57012319@N07/5506876648/

Sorry I should add that the car is a Honda Civic (2003)

It's a heat-shield which attaches to the chassis of the car to protect the underside from heat from the exhaust. The car is perfectly safe to drive without this. In fact, these things are not really needed. It can be replaced in a few minutes but can be quite an awkward job if you have to crawl under the car. It shouldn't cost a great deal for a garage to replace.

Looking a bit closer it appears to be a heat-shield from the manifold. this would explain why the noise came from the engine bay. This should be even easier to replace. Just make sure the engine is well cooled as you risk a nasty burn by putting your hands near a hot manifold.

heat shield of catalyst converter thats what it looks like to me which is part of exhaust system they are fitted as catalyst get very hot when at running temperature they are fitted to stop heat causing damage to other parts of the car or under side of body also to protect catalyst from impact damage from debri of the road

Archived