Tax & Ins- Is this the correct way to do things ?

Can someone help me clarify this please.

I wish to collect my new car on either Fri 1st April or Sat 2nd April (sometime during the daytime). I’m insured for my current car at the moment. I want the insurance on the new car to start from the first day of April so that the seller can tax the car from the 1st of April.

If I ask my insurance company to start the insurance cover on the new car from midnight on 31st March, is that the correct way to do things? If the insurance cover (for the new car) does not commence until say 12 noon on 1st April for example, then I am guessing that the there would be problems at the post office etc

Guest sibon
Can someone help me clarify this please.

I wish to collect my new car on either Fri 1st April or Sat 2nd April (sometime during the daytime). I’m insured for my current car at the moment. I want the insurance on the new car to start from the first day of April so that the seller can tax the car from the 1st of April.

If I ask my insurance company to start the insurance cover on the new car from midnight on 31st March, is that the correct way to do things? If the insurance cover (for the new car) does not commence until say 12 noon on 1st April for example, then I am guessing that the there would be problems at the post office etc

I've just bought a new car. My insurance on the old car ceased when I handed the keys over. My insurance on the new car started at that point.

I did buy from a dealer though, you sound as though you are buying privately. I don't know if it is any different. Give your insurer a ring and find out.

Archived