Barclays bank pay bonus

well its official the bank period of remorse is over. the chief exec has now taken just a £6.5m bonus this year. :loopy:

its cool being part of this big society, i am of course assuming he will be sharing it round , maybe putting some into pension funds for us all, seeing as we all bailed him out with our taxes. :hihi:

well its official the bank period of remorse is over. the chief exec has now taken just a £6.5m bonus this year. :loopy:

its cool being part of this big society, i am of course assuming he will be sharing it round , maybe putting some into pension funds for us all, seeing as we all bailed him out with our taxes. :hihi:

So how did Barclays perform this year? Did they under perform? Did they lose money or did they make a profit?

Guest sibon
So how did Barclays perform this year? Did they under perform? Did they lose money or did they make a profit?

The executives did rather better than the shareholders.

Both made money though and the shareholders could influence the bonuses if they wished.

Choose your angle.

The executives did rather better than the shareholders.

The vast bulk of these bonuses are paid in the form of shares, so the two groups are just about synonymous. And, of course, those shares are only worth anything if the bank continues to do well - which is the responsibility of the very people being paid with them.

Guest sibon
The vast bulk of these bonuses are paid in the form of shares, so the two groups are just about synonymous. And, of course, those shares are only worth anything if the bank continues to do well - which is the responsibility of the very people being paid with them.

Indeed. That is a big step forward in terms of paying bonuses. Not before time either.

There are still plenty of other investors though (me included:)). They could well have seen the share price cut in half and the dividend slashed. I was simply pointing out that they might not accept this "balance" forever.

If he helped them make profit in difficult times, and the shareholders were content to pay him to do it then that's fine. The bank wasn't nationalised like the scottish banks. We should not be telling them how to run their own businesses. They ave employed people in this country, and he will be paying PLENTY of tax on the money he has earned, so yes he IS sharing with all of us. He is contributing to society much more than you are, he pays much more tax than you. we should be welcoming successful businesses and people to this country, not being spiteful towards them.

Archived