Foetal Alcoholism

All alcoholic beverages offered for sale in containers in the US are required to bear a label warning of foetal alcohol syndrome.

The label is known as 'the Jack Daniels label because the JD company successfully petitioned Congress to require it to be applied to alcohol containers after they were (successfully) sued by a lady whose baby had been born without a brain. (The child had a cerebral cortex and managed to breathe for a few minutes), but that was it.)

The mother (who claimed she had drunk a bottle of JD every day [and may have under-estimated her habit]) claimed that JD were liable because she 'did not realise' that a bottle a day might be harmful.

She won the case. JD got the law changed so every container must bear the message.

I'm waiting to see the law changed to require people who are that stupid to be sterilised.

It won't happen.

It must be somebody else's fault.

Is this story for real?? My god, prople like this shouldn't be able to breed!

I bet she didn't spend the money on JD!?

People go WAY over the top with smoking. I was told that I wasn't alowed to go near my baby for at least 1hr after I had a cigarette.

I understand that the smell would still be on my breth, but a whole hour?? Whats that all about?

How come none of these so called risks used to exist 20 years ago?

You were told you 'weren't allowed?' In those very words? I'm surprised...I thought all health professionals were limited to advising people on the risks and suggesting a course of action that would be most beneficial.

As for the actual hour after a cigarette thing, I don't understand that either, except that making your baby smell of fags, which you will if you pick him or her up straight after you have one, is pretty grotty. Unless it's a case of them telling you that in the hope that it means you don't actually blow smoke directly into your baby's face...

If there aren't risks, why do you think the NHS and the Department of Health spend millions of pounds each year on public awareness campaigns about smoking and drinking? For fun?

People go WAY over the top with smoking. I was told that I wasn't alowed to go near my baby for at least 1hr after I had a cigarette.

I understand that the smell would still be on my breth, but a whole hour?? Whats that all about?

How come none of these so called risks used to exist 20 years ago?

I think it's something to do with the toxins in the cig-smoke still clinging to your clothing, (though I could stand to be corrected on that) and that the babies, being so small, aren't as able to deal with the smoke in the air as an adult could.

When my grandkids arrived, the recommendation from the health professionals was to go outside the house to smoke if you really had to have a ciggie.

Without wanting to be a scaremongerer, there are studies that have shown that there is a raised risk of babies dying from Cot-Death who have parents who smoke, and that respiratory complaints like asthma and bronchitis have a raised incidence in babies and children of smoking parents.

Without wanting to be a scaremongerer, there are studies that have shown that there is a raised risk of babies dying from Cot-Death who have parents who smoke, and that respiratory complaints like asthma and bronchitis have a raised incidence in babies and children of smoking parents.
However theres also evidence to suggest that babies are being kept too sterile and clean and aren't building up an immunity to disease. So wheres the middle ground?

Is this story for real?? My god, prople like this shouldn't be able to breed!

I bet she didn't spend the money on JD!?

Unfortunately Bonzo, it is true.

She shouldn't have been able to breed (and given the amount of alcohol she consumed habitually, I'm surprised the baby came to term.)

However theres also evidence to suggest that babies are being kept too sterile and clean and aren't building up an immunity to disease. So wheres the middle ground?

'You have to eat a ton of dirt before you can die.' - Well, that's what my mum told me.

She wasn't too impressed when she caught me and my younger brother feeding our other brother (Nick - we used him for 'experiments' :hihi::hihi:) earthworms.

Nick was really good. (He's now 'Professor Nick' a noted scientist .... we taught im!)

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

'A beer or 5' (I take it the '5' wasn't every night :)) is one thing. A bottle of JD a day is something else.

I can drink 'a beer or 4' (but as Calippo informed me 'Stella is also 5.2%, few beers on sale in Germany are as strong as that ')

What would I know? the beer in my local Is 5.4%- unless it's Oktoberfest (6.3%) or it's Frühling and we're drinking Maibock (12% [real beer]) - I only live here.

(Few people drink more than half a litre of Maibock (May goat) - It's not supposed to 'reach the part other beers cannot reach' and it's certainly not supposed to put that part to sleep.:hihi::hihi::hihi:)

A bottle of JD a day is well beyond my capability. - But the lady who sued them successfully managed to persuade the court it was the distillers' fault.

Archived