Smoking In Public? Is It A Heath Risk? Or Hype?

no it wont give me lung cancer :roll:

but its not good havin to inhale fag smoke as you walk past people stood outside the doorway..............:rant::P

It is quite inconsiderate to stand right outside the doorway and smoke. The further away from none smokers the better.

Guest sibon
If passive smoking gave everyone cancer then everyone who went to pubs for the last 100 years would be dead by now.

Loads of them are. Do you need any more proof of the evils of ciggies:D

Loads of them are. Do you need any more proof of the evils of ciggies:D

Loads of them aren't and I never said smoking wasn't dangerous. But cigarette fumes aren't that toxic that one sniff of them will give you cancer.

Guest sibon
Loads of them aren't and I never said smoking wasn't dangerous. But cigarette fumes aren't that toxic that one sniff of them will give you cancer.

Bloody hell, I hope not.

Bloody hell, I hope not.

Oh, no way. If a guy was smoking in the next street, I would not even smell his smoke. Let alone die from it. 50 years later, maybe. But that would be from my horrible diet anyways. Not cigs.

That's physics 101. Smoke particles pass through the air, and nearby people will inadvertantly inhale them.

Yes. But whereas a few years ago they would have said: "I don't like that smell, I'll move out of range" they now say "I'm gonna die!"

I saw somebody (3 weeks ago, in Florida) RUN to put more distance between herself and a man who was smoking (outside) 5 yards away. - He wasn't blowing the smoke in her direction, either.

Smoking is bad for you. - No argument.

Smelling smoke may be unpleasant (or if you're an ex-smoker, it may [unfortunately] be too pleasant.)

I don't know whether second-hand smoke is (significantly) dangerous (though I accept that if you don't like the smell of smoke it may be significantly unpleasant.)

I don't know whether - as some allege - second hand smoke causes death.

(Has anybody seen a death certificate where the cause (or even a contributory cause) was detailed as 'inhalation of second-hand smoke'?)

So you 'inadvertently inhale a smoke particle'?

God help you if you're ever near the exhaust pipe of a bus.

I've no objections to people banning smoking in pubs. Before smoking in pubs was banned, I refused to eat in a restaurant which allowed smoking. I didn't drink in smoke-filled pubs, either. - My choice.

I've no objection to rules which say: "You may not smoke within 25 yards of the entrance to this building".

But it is possible to over-react to a threat.

Yes. But whereas a few years ago they would have said: "I don't like that smell, I'll move out of range" they now say "I'm gonna die!"

I saw somebody (3 weeks ago, in Florida) RUN to put more distance between herself and a man who was smoking (outside) 5 yards away. - He wasn't blowing the smoke in her direction, either.

Smoking is bad for you. - No argument.

Smelling smoke may be unpleasant (or if you're an ex-smoker, it may [unfortunately] be too pleasant.)

I don't know whether second-hand smoke is (significantly) dangerous (though I accept that if you don't like the smell of smoke it may be significantly unpleasant.)

I don't know whether - as some allege - second hand smoke causes death.

(Has anybody seen a death certificate where the cause (or even a contributory cause) was detailed as 'inhalation of second-hand smoke'?)

So you 'inadvertently inhale a smoke particle'?

I've no objections to people banning smoking in pubs. Before smoking in pubs was banned, I refused to eat in a restaurant which allowed smoking. I didn't drink in smoke-filled pubs, either. - My choice.

I've no objection to rules which say: "You may not smoke within 25 yards of the entrance to this building".

Roy Castle was killed from lung cancer. He never smoked, but he used to play the trumpet in smokey clubs.

yes. But whereas a few years ago they would have said: "i don't like that smell, i'll move out of range" they now say "i'm gonna die!"

i saw somebody (3 weeks ago, in florida) run to put more distance between herself and a man who was smoking (outside) 5 yards away. - he wasn't blowing the smoke in her direction, either.

Smoking is bad for you. - no argument.

i don't know whether second-hand smoke is (significantly) dangerous (though i accept that if you don't like the smell of smoke it may be significantly unpleasant.)

i don't know whether - as some allege - second hand smoke causes death.

(has anybody seen a death certificate where the cause (or even a contributory cause) was detailed as 'inhalation of second-hand smoke'?)

so you 'inadvertently inhale a smoke particle'?

I've no objections to people banning smoking in pubs. Before smoking in pubs was banned, i refused to eat in a restaurant which allowed smoking. I didn't drink in smoke-filled pubs, either. - my choice.

I've no objection to rules which say: "you may not smoke within 25 yards of the entrance to this building".

major top post.

Archived