2011 census form - all discussion here please

Scottf - they should know this info from annual tax returns. They're snooping as usual, making sure they're getting every penny out of us.

I've read on teletext this morning that they might even ask questions of a sexual nature. Maybe they'll introduce a screw tax (pardon me, I couldn't resist).

This Labour government are nothing but overzealous control freaks.

Two fingers to them all.

It is illegal not to fill in the census. You'll be hauled before the courts for not letting on that you don't put the lid on the toothpaste tube after use.

Shame on you. Your punishment will be to watch daytime TV for a whole week. (Advice therefore: Fill it in and have done.)

Just to put your minds at rest - the census information concerning individuals will be closed for 100 years, just as it always has been.

A few years ago for instance the census for 1901 was finally released.

The headline data and statistics are used to help inform a certain amount of redistribution of taxes around the country.

Mainly it helps to provide statistical information about what kind of work we are carrying out as a nation, what percentage of us have children, all the kind of things that help to inform Government policy.

I dont think it is anything to do with the Labour Party, it is the Department for National Statistics or whatever they are called and it has been going on for 160 years in its current form - longer than the Labour Party.

I remember in 1991 that lots of people did not register for the census because they thought the poll tax collectors would find them. All that happened was that they were not recorded and in 100 years time their descendants wont be able to find them in family history records. They cost their regions some money by not being in the figures, but not one single person was found and taken to court.

These are myths

the worrying thing to me is that if you put down a different name on the census this can be checked against the electoral role etc.

Will I be able to put down a different earnings, should I wish to do without this being checked.

Archived