2011 census form - all discussion here please

The difference in the ethnic make up of this country from the last census 11 years ago will be interesing.

Not really as I explained earlier, and to back that up have a read of this;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12507319

And especially this bit:

"Average Sunday attendance in the Church of England was 960,000 in 2008, a figure which has been falling for a number of years.. Yet nearly 40 million people in England and Wales, 72%, identified themselves as Christian." Saying you are a Christian and actually being one seem to be two different things.

Any data from that question is going to be very unreliable and should not be take as anywhere near accurate.

Just been on the website...apparently you are required to give information about everyone staying in your home on the night of 27th March...which is a Saturday night.

For the sheer mischief I might just put "got totally hammered in town and haven't a clue where I spent the night, if anyone lists me on their form can you let me know please" :hihi:

or...have a sleep over and invite 150 of my closest friends (and believe me in a 3 bedroom maisonette we will be very close) :lol:

If we sleep in a caravan on the drive that night does that excuse us from filling in the form?

Saying you are a Christian and actually being one seem to be two different things.

Any data from that question is going to be very unreliable and should not be take as anywhere near accurate.

Im talking about peoples ethnicity, when people state their ethnicity on the form are we to question their judgment or the accuracy of the census?

Im talking about peoples ethnicity, when people state their ethnicity on the form are we to question their judgment or the accuracy of the census?

Ah I see. :) When it comes to ethnic origin the question is compulsory so I would think you would have to accept the census to be fairly accurate. I cant see how you can question the individuals judgement without knowing the individual and I wouldn't have thought that many people would be in doubt as to their ethnicity anyway.

I'm completely in favour of the census. As some of the other posters have mentioned it will be very handy for people in the future to trace their family history (in the way that previous census have been for us). For hundreds of years it has helped geographers track the development of societies around the world and in the present day it helps with things like town planning, transport, economic strategy and any part of demographic planning. It is an exercise that gives us a snapshot of our nation, I will be extremely interested to see the results.

Yes but the thick don't understand that. They think they are filling in some

tax form or claim form.

Not really as I explained earlier, and to back that up have a read of this;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12507319

And especially this bit:

"Average Sunday attendance in the Church of England was 960,000 in 2008, a figure which has been falling for a number of years.. Yet nearly 40 million people in England and Wales, 72%, identified themselves as Christian." Saying you are a Christian and actually being one seem to be two different things.

Is the same true for being Black African or White British? Are people like to make the claim whilst 'not really' being of that ethnicity?

If you include fiddle work, could you be prosecuted for that?

They need to make it clear that anything you have done/do you will not be prosecuted for - otherwise people will not entirely be honest.

It would be interesting to know how many people do cash in hand fiddle work, jobs such as window cleaning, car servising and other hand jobs that don't require use of equipment, etc.....

I've used past versions of the census for tracing family history. As someone who has moved about a bit, I think my family's entries might be useful for other genealogists in future if they wish to trace us.

However, on the bigger picture, I find it fascinating that we have a fairly accurate picture of UK demographics every ten years. It shows up stuff like concentrations of health problems, and areas where there are jobs that aren't being filled and others where there is no work. It will identify where there are problems with overcrowded dwellings, and where there is the greatest need for housing. It identifies areas where there may be far more elderly people than the norm, or where there are more births.

I've filled in my details every time its come round to no ill effect, can't see that this year will be any different. Except I can identify myself as a British Scot living in England. ;)

Its essential for all types of things, planning housing and services, tackling problematic areas such as unemployment and access to health services. Say for instance your area has more long term limiting illness, hopefully your council will spot this using information gathered in the census and put in measures to ensure your estate receives the services it needs.

I'm a student at Hallam and I'm in the middle of creating a neighbourhood profile of Burngreave, the 2001 census has been an invaluable source of information.

Anyone who fancies a look at what info is available can do so through the link below

https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/Default.asp

click on homepage then advanced query, the last 2 census' are available

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to a disclosure which—

(a) is required or permitted by any enactment,

(b) is required by a Community obligation,

© is necessary for the purpose of enabling or assisting the Board to exercise any of its functions,

(d) has already lawfully been made available to the public,

(e) is made in pursuance of an order of a court,

(f) is made for the purposes of a criminal investigation or criminal proceedings (whether or not in the United Kingdom),

(g) is made, in the interests of national security, to an Intelligence Service,

(h) is made with the consent of the person to whom it relates, or

(i) is made to an approved researcher.

I know approved researchers who work with census data. Although it would appear that they could now obtain names and addresses, they would not be allowed to as this contravenes the ethical code of practice of most universities and institutions. They wouldn't want to either, btw, as it is an unnecessary layer of extra data. I suppose using the surnames on their own would be fun though. You could map how many Smiths live in each county, or how many Jones' work in farming :)

The census is a gold mine of information on the changing demographic in the UK. Most of the BBC's maps showing e.g. social mobility or poverty indices across the UK are compiled by approved researchers in universities. The data is used in almost every socioeconomic decision made by the government, and is crucial for ensuring that we continue to think about how we can close the poverty gap and ensure those in relative poverty receive the best help, for example.

Archived