2011 census form - all discussion here please

How many people were fined for refusing to fill the 2001 one in?

I'm guessing not many, there are loads of stages of visits and all sorts giving you chances before you get a fine so I'm betting most people change their minds when things are explained to them.

Comic Relief, Children In Need, Live Aid ... some people think that these occasions are a good thing to contribute to. Pah!

I'm suspicious of things that we all do together, where we all contribute to, you know, try and make the place a better place to live.

You won't catch me contributing any of my time to the census.

Me, me, me, me, me .......

I wonder if the same people that are complaining about being forced into submitting personal information also have Facebook accounts and use store loyalty cards?

Yes. But the difference is that when you sign up for a loyalty card or facebook you do so willingly and voluntarily and if you bother to read the terms and conditions you can find out how they will use your information.

The census is compulsory, you are legally obliged to do it which is very different. I object to the questions about what my heating runs on and how I travel to work, that's nobody elses business. You can opt out of store cards and facebook but you can't opt out of the census.

Yes. But the difference is that when you sign up for a loyalty card or facebook you do so willingly and voluntarily and if you bother to read the terms and conditions you can find out how they will use your information.

The census is compulsory, you are legally obliged to do it which is very different. I object to the questions about what my heating runs on and how I travel to work, that's nobody elses business. You can opt out of store cards and facebook but you can't opt out of the census.

The census has taken place in the UK since 1801.

Collecting information about how people travel to work will help with transport planning, knowing what your heating runs on will help to ascertain the countries future energy needs and demands, see how many elderly people live with out heating etc to help to target future plans.

It's hardly ground breaking personal stuff that is being asked is it.

I'm guessing not many, there are loads of stages of visits and all sorts giving you chances before you get a fine so I'm betting most people change their minds when things are explained to them.

Ah - you mean they put the thumb-screws on them :hihi:

I did read this will be the last paper census. Sometime between 2015 and 2021 we shall all have a tiny digital implant fitted that will extract all the required info directly from our brains.

The census has taken place in the UK since 1801.

Collecting information about how people travel to work will help with transport planning, knowing what your heating runs on will help to ascertain the countries future energy needs and demands, see how many elderly people live with out heating etc to help to target future plans.

It's hardly ground breaking personal stuff that is being asked is it.

I don't mind being asked the stuff that was asked in the censuses that have already been released from 1901 and before. Name, age and profession.

But some of the other questions are intrusive and you do not need to know what kind of heating people have or how they travel to work via the census. There are much more efficient ways of planning for the infrastructure needed.

I don't mind being asked the stuff that was asked in the censuses that have already been released from 1901 and before. Name, age and profession.

But some of the other questions are intrusive and you do not need to know what kind of heating people have or how they travel to work via the census. There are much more efficient ways of planning for the infrastructure needed.

Does it REALLY matter that you have to write down how you travel to work?

Archived