2011 census form - all discussion here please

Does it REALLY matter that you have to write down how you travel to work?

It's not necessarily the question, it's the need for the question to be asked. Governments shouldn't be collecting uneccessary information on people, unless you're doing something wrong or illegal you are entitled to as little interference from the state as is legally practical and sending out legal documents forcing people to answer questions like this is wrong.

I think that it is a good thing that people are questioning writing details down on national databases.

It shows that I'm not paranoid for a start :hihi:

It also shows that people are questioning information exchanging which is gradually happening to an almost certain point in the near future - a point in time when I do think gov's will know everything about everyone eventually. A CCTV camera in town will scan a face and they'll know the person's entire history within seconds.

The police already have similar powers with that device that tracks a reg plate, and they have an idea of who is driving it, and what they've done. That's something I predicted that gov will have on everyone one day, and I wrote that 15 years ago.

However, saying all that, I'm not particularly bothered about filling this in.

How many people were fined for refusing to fill the 2001 one in?

1991 Census England and Wales

There were 354 prosecutions of which 342 were recorded as being successful.

Our records from this time do not refer specifically to whether or not a

person was found ‘guilty’.

2001 Census England and Wales

There were 39 prosecutions of which 38 resulted in a guilty verdict.

Link: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/census_non_returns_prosecutions

I assume you don't complain about shortages in government services then?

such a non argument. They know how many people use buses and trains and how far they travel. They know who has medical problems and where these problems are concentrated. They know how many children are in each area that will need educating. They have far more up to date information on this than they will get from a census so whats the point?

People give away more personal details writing in forums than what you give away in the Census.

As said already no personal info will be released.

Even the Prime Minister under freedom of Information is not allowed to see your personal data entered on the Census.

It's exactly for statistical information only, example:

Supermarkets will use the stats to determine car parking spaces, and/or stocking food for diferent ethnics.

People who may benefit:

a mum with kids may be more interested to know that playparks have been, and can be, funded because the census counts how many children there are locally.

The personal information you write on there anyway is already out there in the domain, whether you're working or on benefits other goverment departments already know you.

Again personal details are not made public for 100 years, that will benefit future relatives doing a family tree.

1991 Census England and Wales

There were 354 prosecutions of which 342 were recorded as being successful.

Our records from this time do not refer specifically to whether or not a

person was found ‘guilty’.

2001 Census England and Wales

There were 39 prosecutions of which 38 resulted in a guilty verdict.

Link: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/census_non_returns_prosecutions

Thank you for that redrobbo.

39 prosecutions seems to me very low. I would have thought the figure to be a lot higher. Or at least, the number of people refusing to fill the census in, to be a lot higher than 39.

Archived