Man arrested in Ripper hoax case

owdlad

Yes, but my question still applies, as I said, I never understood why the statute of limitation did not apply to a crime committed more than 30 years ago?

Because the Statute of Limitations only applies to civil matters. Other than minor magistrates cases then there is no limitation on criminal offences.

Firstly, at the time it was 27 years ago..

"The hoax letters and tapes, sent 27 years ago by a man with a strong Sunderland accent who claimed to have carried out the Ripper murders, taunted officers and diverted police attention away from West Yorkshire, as Peter Sutcliffe killed three more women. "

and I'm not aware that the UK has any form of limitations apart from civil and personal injury cases, some motoring offences and cases laid before the JP's

Yes, but my question still applies, as I said, I never understood why the statute of limitation did not apply to a crime committed more than 30 years ago?

What statute of limitations are you talking about, he was not a tax cheat.Do you seriously think you can commit a grievous crime ,sit back and after a few years you are home free. Doesn't work that way. Scores of people world wide are getting banged up for crimes they committed decades earlier, thanks to good old DNA