Botulism from dented can?

As I remember it, botulism doesn't cause cans to swell, that's why it's so dangerous. You don't have any signs that anything is wrong.

I'm afraid that's wrong - blown cans are an almost classical sign of C. botulinum bacteria. Effects are typically:

Symptoms: initial short period of diarrhoea and vomiting followed by double vision, difficulties in swallowing and breathing may lead to paralysis.

Onset: 2 hours to 8 days, usually 12 - 36 hours.

Duration: may persist for 6 - 8 months.

Botulism is considered a medical emergency so if this is a serious concern phone NHS direct / NHS 24 / a hospital immediately.

I'm afraid that's wrong - blown cans are an almost classical sign of C. botulinum bacteria. Effects are typically:

Symptoms: initial short period of diarrhoea and vomiting followed by double vision, difficulties in swallowing and breathing may lead to paralysis.

Onset: 2 hours to 8 days, usually 12 - 36 hours.

Duration: may persist for 6 - 8 months.

Botulism is considered a medical emergency so if this is a serious concern phone NHS direct / NHS 24 / a hospital immediately.

That's what I thought. Wasn't there a big scare in the 60s or 70s about botulism in salmon cans?

Guest sibon
That's what I thought. Wasn't there a big scare in the 60s or 70s about botulism in salmon cans?

The botulinum spores are highly heat resistant. They can survive the cooking process that precedes canning. They become active again in the presence of oxygen, for example when a can is damaged and the metal is pierced.

So, yes, it could be boutulism. It could also be many other things. The only certainty is that it is the product of a ridiculous decision by the OPs friend.

I'd go to hospital if I were the OPs friend.

Walkers crisps packets are also swollen, but this is done at the factory to make them appear packed to the brim with tasty crisps. Not to be confused with swollen cans, they are bad in a different way.

Can you buy crisps in Dore? Thought they were poor man food.

I allways feel the top of the canned products that I buy.....even the cat/dog food cans. If it feels spongy (as in you can press it down and it moves) or if I can see a dent in the can then I put it back on the shelf.

I was allways led to believe that a dent in the can meant that the can itself might no longer be stable and as a result the contents could re-act against the actual "tin" content in the can. I was told that a dented can could result in oxidation which is a bit like the tin rusting from the inside, which of course would have the potential to make you very ill.

I was also taught from a young age that once you had opened a can of anything then you should remove the entire contents even if you didn't intend to eat them all at once. Store them in another glass/plastic vessel and keep in the fridge. Apparantly thats also something to do with the tin content of the can beginning to break down once oxygen gets to it.

We used to be aware of "tin poisoning"..........could that have been botulism?

I'm allways wary of tins anyhow even though I've got some fairly old ones in my store cupboard. :hihi: So long as they look and feel sound they will be ok though.

Common sense is a very fine thing. :D

Archived