As a kid on Parkwood

Texas

I've been reading online editions of a free Sheffield newspaper and I was saddened when I read about the dumping of waste on Parkwood.

When I was a kid Parkwood was our playground. It wasn't much to look at back then in the 40's, being, as far as I can remember, treeless, a bit muddy in places, but with a fair amount of grass. I suppose at one time it had trees in abundance, but not when I was a kid. The 'mud' bits I mention were like, light brown clay.

But, I can remember in particular, a water course. You wouldn't call it a stream, or even a brook. All it was, was a trickle of water running from the top of Parkwood and disapearing somewhere at the bottom of Cookswood Road. In fact, it ran parallel with Cookswood Road,about 75 yards in. There were all kinds of interesting wildlife in that little waterway, I even found Lampreys there once. I'll bet they ain't there now. Caddis worms in abundance.

I didn't spread all this around you understand, with my immediate peers, they would've thought I'd gone barmy.

Archived