Is the term 'jobsworth' now redundant?

i got on a bus in sheffild at 2 mins to nine bus driver said i couldt use my pass till 9.0 clock so i got off the bus and went to back off que got on the same bus by then it was 9.o clock ha ha jobsworth

Something like that is out of his hands though, the machine probably wouldn’t have been able to print the ticket until 9 O'clock.

The term is still in frequent use. I have been called a jobsworth a few times this year so far, mainly by parents wanting to get their underage kid into a 15 rated film - apparently if they are fine with them watching it, I shouldn't be such a jobsworth and stop them!

I've always disliked the term - it reminds me of 'That's Life' - but I understand what people mean when they use it. It's used to describe someone on some lind of official position who seems mean spirited and inflexible ' Ooh, can't do that, more than my job's worth'.

Now that such dire times are upon us, is it really reasonable to expect anyone to do anything that could run the risk of them getting into trouble and possibly losing their job?

That bloody Rantzen woman has a lot to answer for.

Jobsworth

Sell by dates

Best before dates

Putting the willies up people about cooking Kidney Beans

. . . the list goes on.

The term is still in frequent use. I have been called a jobsworth a few times this year so far, mainly by parents wanting to get their underage kid into a 15 rated film - apparently if they are fine with them watching it, I shouldn't be such a jobsworth and stop them!

That’s an interesting point you have raised ……….. How do you ID someone to see if they are 15 ?

I find that we are under so much scrutiny in the workplace and there is such a tight, bureaucratic structure to ensure that our actions are monitored for adherence to policy, we are all forced into being jobsworths to some extent. Not a good thing in my opinion.

I find that we are under so much scrutiny in the workplace and there is such a tight, bureaucratic structure to ensure that our actions are monitored for adherence to policy, we are all forced into being jobsworths to some extent. Not a good thing in my opinion.

Indeed - so is it fair to apply such a perjorative term to someone who is just sticking to the rules because they know their job might be on the line if they don't.

That’s an interesting point you have raised ……….. How do you ID someone to see if they are 15 ?

If they don't look old enough, then they need to provide something as ID. A good example is a bus pass. The ones they issue expire at the end of the school year in which the child turns 16, so can be used as a good guideline.

In addition, if passport/birth certificate are brought in as proof, along with a passport sized picture, we can make Cinema Proof Of Age cards to be presented in future.

Word of mouth cannot be accepted (the number of times we get told by a kid that we can "Call their mum!" - even had that from someone claiming to be 18 ) as many parents do lie on behalf of their kids. One example..

Me: Have you got any proof they are 15?

Mum: He's 15 today. This is a birthday treat. You are ruining his birthday!

Me (to son): What's your date of birth?

Son: (says a date which is completely different to the current date)

Me: I thought you said it was his birthday today?

Mum: Bloody jobsworth...(proceeds to walk out)

The above example happens far more often than you would expect.

Something like that is out of his hands though, the machine probably wouldn’t have been able to print the ticket until 9 O'clock.

That's what I'm like, as long as I think it's reasonable and the IT systems allow for it, I make exceptions based on what I judge to be fair.

There is no situation in life so black and white that a rule cannot be bent to allow for it.

Archived