Are you a do gooder?

Surely a better question would be "why aren't you a do gooder?". Alternatively, "if you're not a do gooder are you are a do badder or a do nothinger?".

Incidentally, is Tony the new slimsid, starting all these questioning threads without proffering his own opinion?

Hehe I like to listen but for what it's worth I think that we should reclaim the phrase and use it for its true and proper meaning. As you suggest the alternatives to doing good aren't great.

There are so many people who do stuff that goes unrecognised that I thought it would be nice to have a thread to celebrate the small things that we do for each other.

harri73's story is not something I'd expected here but it's nice that people stand up to for each other too.

So, bring it on, let's hear about nice activities instead of the doom and gloom and negativity that infests SF. if just one person is inspired to do something that they wouldn't have done before we'll all be the better for it.

Are you a do gooder? Let's hear about all the positive and amazing things that we do, no matter how small they might seem to you.

What do you do for your family, friends, community, school, neighbors, work colleagues, or even strangers and people you will never meet.

I bake fairy cakes.

I spend time with a number of volunteers who work in and around the areas where they live. They are doing good, by trying to improve their neighbourhood. Some of them put in many hours each week, running social groups, organising outings, meeting with their landlords reps to sort out problems - all on behalf of all their neighbours. None of them expect much thanks, but they see it as a job that needs to be done.

Unfortunately the term 'do gooder' has become more of an insult than a compliment. And yet, these people, who are mainly older, make such a difference to the lives of others. There have been volunteers and philanthropists supporting and enhancing our lives for generations.

Give me a genuine do gooder over a 'couldn't care lesser' or a 'I'll do what I want and stuff everyone elser' any day. :roll:

Archived