Sheffield Anime Club

I know who Hatsune Miku and Vocaloid is. You can't beat a bit Bump of Chicken and Aqua Timez though.

I have the same problem when wanting to buy stuff. Hopefully a trip to Japan will cure all this in Akihabara.

A trip to Akihabara nice idea, but no something that can be done often. I like to buy limited edition items too, so be just nice to seem some of those things appear in say, amazon.

The trouble I went through to get a 3DSLL.

But Vocaloid... Since I heard her in August, I really haven't listened to anything but Hatsune Miku and her friends.

It took me ages to get SAO Infinity Moment for PSP, Finally got it from this dodgy looking nondescript site from Hong Kong. Would be nice if there were somewhere closer to home.

Doesn't that DS only play Jap Ver games?

Yes... It's exactly what I got it for. I wanted Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2... I literally spent close to £400, after you factor in customs charges, for a single game... but there's gonna be more I'll want to play. Then there was Hatsune Miku Project DIVA for the Vita & PSP (guess which game I'm currently addicted to).

There are two sites I trust for importing... cdjapan and play-asia, both ship from hong-long ultimately, neither have let me down, and have had good customer service when I've had problems. Got the 3DSLL, limited edition game and the accessories from play-asia and it all arrived within a week of release date.

I bought mine from yesasia and took five weeks for it to come. I wouldn't recommend them, nearly killed me waiting for so long.

If you're importing them they're in Japanese or can you read and understand whats going on?

Hatsune Miku Project Mirai / Project DIVA don't need much understanding, they are just a rhythm game, press the buttons/the screen at the right time.

But... I just got ゼルダの伝説 大地の汽笛 (Zeruda no Densetsu Daichi no Kiteki) which is The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, The Japanese import version. I have not got a chance... yet. I have been informed Zelda it is good when trying to learn Japanese as it will expand Kanji into Furigana, which is useful when learning Kanji. I have completed the English version and I loved it.

However, while I can just about read the phonetics, I don't know the grammar of the language, or what just about all the language says yet. I can just about get by saying hello, morning or yes, no... you know, the few, basic things you might pick up watching anime for a few months ^_^

and... yesasia aren't too bad, I've ordered from them a few times, but we're ordering from Japan don't forget. They have to order things from Japan, to Hong Kong, then send them on to us. If amazon.co.jp would just send things direct to us, it'd be a whole lot better, but they don't.

Ultimately, I don't think it's any worse than an English speaker memorising an entire word. Tbh when I speed read, I don't read a word, letter-by-letter any more, I just see a word in it's entirety. I've memorised the pattern of letters that makes up the word.

I suspect it's the same for kanji. Someone who reads Japanese properly, doesn't have to think any more, they just see and immediately interpret just as a native English reader does.

Problem is, Japanese is just so different from English, in both speech and written forms. But, I'm a programmer, I enjoy languages and it turns out I seem to enjoy learning Japanese too. Just need to meet people to do it too.