'Riots likely in uk due to rising food costs'

Obesity is linked to poverty in the UK. I'm sure you know that. It's due to families trying to hold down several craply paid jobs, and not having time or energy or money to cook decent food, when you shove a goodfellas pizza in the oven for 99p, as other posters have said. I have noticed fresh meat and veg and fruit rising sharply, and the quality deteriorating fast. Some people aren't clever enough to look at weights/quality indicators of products, just that it's a pack of meat!

Then you're shopping in different places to me, I've noticed more offers and I definitely haven't been paying out more for fresh ingredients.

Unfortunately it tends to be rubbish that I don't use or the store can't get rid of it, usually on or past sell by. I wouldn't say they have more either, how would you measure something like that? Perhaps you went around the supermarket and manually listed all the items for sale, then referred back to your notes on your next visit.
or you could just look at last months/weeks till receipts,ive noticed the odd 5 pence increase on goods and sometimes more ,no im not sad for saving receipts they are in the bottom of the shopping bag as i always save them just incase the shoplifter alarm goes off as i walk out behind other people and it saves a lot of time and effort if you just produce the receipt for the goods in the bags

Think I'll have to start visiting the butchers. Is there one that you recommend, in particular, claire?

I'll ask the OH for the name, it's in Hillsborough. I'm not saying it's cheaper than the supermarkets (although steaks definitely are) but it's much better quality and they seem to maintain their prices.

I'll ask the OH for the name, it's in Hillsborough. I'm not saying it's cheaper than the supermarkets (although steaks definitely are) but it's much better quality and they seem to maintain their prices.

Thanks for that. To be honest, I think the supermarkets are getting far too big and greedy, and it's time local independent shops got more of their share of the purse.

Certainly from what I've seen in Tesco and Sainsburys, it's looking like less meat for more money, and fruit and veg too.

Thanks for that. To be honest, I think the supermarkets are getting far too big and greedy, and it's time local independent shops got more of their share of the purse.

Certainly from what I've seen in Tesco and Sainsburys, it's looking like less meat for more money, and fruit and veg too.

Definitely, I've always refused to shop at Tesco on principle but there's little difference between the lot of them. It's always a more personal experience when shopping at local shops as well and of course if more people used them they would be able to offer goods cheaper.

Archived