'Riots likely in uk due to rising food costs'

"I predict a diet", doesn't quite have the same ring to it though.

Could you live on a Diet of Worms? - That caused some trouble a few hundred years ago. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

The UK already has cheap food.

I wonder what percentage of income the average family in the UK spends on food?

I wonder how that compares with the percentage of income that the average family in a poor 3rd-world country spends on food?

People want cheap food. Oil (agro-chemicals and diesel for mechanisation) is going up.

If food prices are going to come down, then labour costs must come down, too.

People want cheap food, but they're not prepared to work for low wages to produce it.

Exactly! I cook everything from scratch and all fresh produce which can be sourced cheaply if you venture away from the supermarkets.

Part of the reason I raised this thread is that I live somewhere very rural with no supermarkets nearby except a co op.Co op around here always has high prices and they have become more and more expensive this last month.I too cook from scratch but veg etc is very expensive.For instance, I did make a long trip to Tesco where grapefruit were 35p each.Local co op :65p.In general the people I am talking to, and in different areas have noticed an increase in their food prices.

If food prices are going to come down, then labour costs must come down, too.

People want cheap food, but they're not prepared to work for low wages to produce it.

:hihi::hihi: People are already working for low wages - and some British farmers are actually making a loss on what giant supermarket chains are prepared to give them, so are closing production, or aren't you aware? Of course, this has to be viewed with the backdrop of Tesco's record profits year on year.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the general population isn't going to riot just because there is an Etonian in Downing Street sensibly tightening the countries belt and living within our means for a change.

No we'll see about that then

Part of the reason I raised this thread is that I live somewhere very rural with no supermarkets nearby except a co op.Co op around here always has high prices and they have become more and more expensive this last month.I too cook from scratch but veg etc is very expensive.For instance, I did make a long trip to Tesco where grapefruit were 35p each.Local co op :65p.In general the people I am talking to, and in different areas have noticed an increase in their food prices.

That's your caring sharing, ethical local friendly co-operative for you. Good with food, even better with prices! How else are they going to afford to put such long boring stupid adverts on every break?

"I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the general population isn't going to riot just because there is an Etonian in Downing Street sensibly tightening the countries belt and living within our means for a change. "

They might if oil prices continue to rise due to unrest in the middle east.

Don't you realise that if oil prices go up then EVERYTHING goes up, so food will be astronomical, what are we to do, roll over and say thankyou very much government ?:suspect:

Archived