'Riots likely in uk due to rising food costs'

nope. Never said I did. That doesn't mean we have obscenely cheap food though. It means we have more to spend on food, as we have a higher income. That doesn't mean that supermarkets aren't ripping us off along with the farmers.

I understand your point - but looking at the world as a whole, we in the developed world are far better off than 90-95% of the rest of humanity.

As far as 'supermarkets ripping us off' goes - no doubt they do - but only because we allow them to.

I would far rather eat 2 Oz of real dry-cured bacon than 6 Oz of pig meat (which has been injected with 2 Oz of brine to prevent it from going off and which tastes like salty rubber.)

When I lived in the UK, I bought my bacon (indeed, I bought all my meat) from local farmers. They made money (they made rather more from me from me than the supermarket would've paid them for the same amount) and I enjoyed real meat.

Supermarket food in the UK is considerably (sometimes as much as 50%) cheaper than it is in the US.

If you were to scrap supermarkets in the UK, how many people would starve (or suffer from malnutrition)? What percentage of 20-year olds can cook 'from scratch'?

The thread title is - IMO - ridiculous. People riot over food prices when they simply can't afford food - not when the amount of money they spend on food detracts from the amount of money they have to spend on booze, cigarettes, mobile phones, bling, designer clothes, cars and other luxuries.

You get what you pay for, I suggest.

Archived