Car repair quotes - Vast differences locally

The brakes went on the car last night. Took it to a local place that is part of a franchise this morning. They wanted £160 to replace front pads and a £115 for a wheel bearing. The parts come to less than £50 so I phoned my usual garage a couple of miles down the road who quoted £130 all in.

Challenger, (who did my brakes on my last car) never got back to me with a price.

Is there a reason for the difference other than the scent of desperation? I didn't specify gold-plated parts.

you are alwys better going to a local garage rather than a franchised one as they have to charge extra to be in that franchise they have bought into. try smiths at heeley near broadfield rd

franchise will use a original part that was design for the car , while your local cowboys will get the cheapest copy they can get their hands on and hope for the best, just look at the cheap parts on ebay most of them either dont work or it is so badly design made it might cost you your life

franchise will use a original part that was design for the car , while your local cowboys will get the cheapest copy they can get their hands on and hope for the best, just look at the cheap parts on ebay most of them either dont work or it is so badly design made it might cost you your life

Make your mind up! in another thread you were TELLING someone to buy cheap parts off ebay to save money!

a reputable local garage gets them from a parts retailer, they have to be good or the car would fail the m.o.t. especially if its important stuff like brake parts and the like

The brakes went on the car last night. Took it to a local place that is part of a franchise this morning. They wanted £160 to replace front pads and a £115 for a wheel bearing. The parts come to less than £50 so I phoned my usual garage a couple of miles down the road who quoted £130 all in.

Challenger, (who did my brakes on my last car) never got back to me with a price.

Is there a reason for the difference other than the scent of desperation? I didn't specify gold-plated parts.

Yes there is, the large franchises are horrendous and I really haven't a clue how they are still open. Why anyone would go to somewhere like charlie browns or kwik fit is totally beyond me. Total rip off, and numerous stories of work done that isnt required etc.

Find a good, local independent garage. Support local businesses and trades people!

Ha ha ha, what a load of rubbish and scaremongering.

Which one do you work for? Charlie Browns? Kwik fit?

places like kwikfit make up faults or go looking for others thats how they make money. if however you do got to places like that then go later on in the day rather than the morning as which found out, you get the job you ask done not others you don't.

on a side note, brakes are a 10 min job per wheel and pads are as little as a tenner per set (x4 pads)

places like kwikfit make up faults or go looking for others thats how they make money. if however you do got to places like that then go later on in the day rather than the morning as which found out, you get the job you ask done not others you don't.

on a side note, brakes are a 10 min job per wheel and pads are as little as a tenner per set (x4 pads)

In that 10 mins do you fully clean and grease the slide pins? or scrape/file the compacted brake dust & rust from the pad carrier and shims?

Pads START from as little as £10 a set, depends on your vehicle, also there is a big difference in qualities of the friction materials used. You tend to get what you pay for. Cheap and cheerful is fine for something like an old ford ka, but would you want pads that can't absorb the heat generated at high speed braking in a heavy/expensive performance vehicle?

Anyone who's ever experienced the horror of sudden brake fade will know what I mean.

Agree about kwik fit, you probably only have to google "kwik fit review" or something to see.

In that 10 mins do you fully clean and grease the slide pins? or scrape/file the compacted brake dust & rust from the pad carrier and shims?

Pads START from as little as £10 a set, depends on your vehicle, also there is a big difference in qualities of the friction materials used. You tend to get what you pay for. Cheap and cheerful is fine for something like an old ford ka, but would you want pads that can't absorb the heat generated at high speed braking in a heavy/expensive performance vehicle?

Anyone who's ever experienced the horror of sudden brake fade will know what I mean.

Agree about kwik fit, you probably only have to google "kwik fit review" or something to see.

10 mins basic fit which is what you would get i'm guessing with kwikfit.

i would also agree with pads, i paid £20 for my EBC black ones for good all round use. 35000k later still look like 3/4 of the pad is still there.

Archived