Government pension review

does anyone know if I, being born 1958, will get any old age pension at all. If not I think my NI contribution should be cut. Thanks

Your NI contributions are helping to pay for the current pensions.

The people who are about to enter the work force will be paying your pension.

You'd better hope that more than 60% of them are employable.

You'd better hope that more than 60% of them are employable.

Also there may be fewer of them due to demographic shifts.

It has a load of hyperbole and untruths in it.

I should contact the BBC and put them straight.

Those Tory MP's who cheered in the commons during Osborne's budget statement announcement that hundreds of thousands of public servants would lose their jobs

Link? Or did this just happen in your own mind?

Just seen a graph on Newsnight that shows that the money required to fund public sector pensions after 2011 starts to fall as a of proportion of GDP.

So the argument that the cost is going up and up is untrue.

Just thought I'd mention it...

"Virendra Sharma MP: Brutal cuts hit the poorest and the NHS

Oct 21 2010

In his latest column for the Ealing Gazette, Labour MP for Ealing Southall Virendra Sharma, rallies against the Conservative's spending cuts."

I wonder why he wasn't so vociferous about his own party's profligate overspending which necessitated the cuts in the first place?

"Virendra Sharma MP: Brutal cuts hit the poorest and the NHS

Oct 21 2010

In his latest column for the Ealing Gazette, Labour MP for Ealing Southall Virendra Sharma, rallies against the Conservative's spending cuts."

I wonder why he wasn't so vociferous about his own party's profligate overspending which necessitated the cuts in the first place?

Or why no one has pointed out that the Conservative Party under Thatcher were the ones who deregulated the financial services sector in the first place. Putting in place the infrastructure, which led to manufacturing being left to rot whilst providing a nice little earner for all those allied with the corporate banking sector? Who just happen to be Tory?

I love your sense of humour. You don't think for a moment that anyone will benefit from stealing from the lowest paid workers, do you? :rolleyes:

I suppose it all depends on your version of lowest paid workers.

At the moment you have nurses looking after old folk in private nursing homes, earning a pittance, having to work till 66 or beyond before getting a pathetic pension. But these nurses are having to pay tax so folks doing a similar job in the public sector can get an index linked final salary pension and retire at 60. And Unison want them to go on strike so that they can continue doing it.:huh:

Just seen a graph on Newsnight that shows that the money required to fund public sector pensions after 2011 starts to fall as a of proportion of GDP.

So the argument that the cost is going up and up is untrue.

Just thought I'd mention it...

Plus, if public pensions are cut, and people are plunged below the poverty line..its just going to place an additional burden on the welfare state as benefit payments will be needed to to supplement people's income.

Archived