Government pension review

Years ago someone told me that you were better off not contributing to a pension scheme and to have no savings when you reached retirement age as you would be better off claiming benefits.

I thought he was joking !!

You will be better off when it comes to needing care ………… make sure you have sold the house and spent it all.

It is the figures that you are quoting that are totally meaningless. Since the last government increased NHS staff numbers by around 40% for the moment there are far more people contributing compared to those currently receiving a pension. But of course you cannot carry on increasing the public sector by 40% every decade, because we cannot afford the public sector wages now.

The huge deficit is future liability for the pension funds when the current employees start drawing far more from the pot than the pot is taking in. That is where the £960 billion liability comes in. I suppose in your Utopia the public sector would carry on expanding regardless of the fact it was already unaffordable.

The £960 billion is numbers pulled out of a hat. Future liability of deferred pay... What about the future liability of pay? You will find that is £trillions.... Before you wet your pants...All of that money will be earnt by work... by people working on less pay than they would get in the private sector in comparable jobs. Your figures are meaningless nonsense.

What matters when looking at whether public sector pensions are affordable is how they fare long term against projected GDP. A calculation that the Hutton review, the Tories own OBR have all shown will decrease in to the future. Not only are public sector pensions affordable, they are reducing over time. If anything they (like their private sector cousins) should be better and give better terms for people's contributions.

This is all part of the divide and conquer strategy of this government.

This time Setting private sector workers against public sector workers, the employed against the unemployed 'benefit scroungers,' workers against the 'baby boomers' etc. all to take your mind off the real culprits - lousy governments over the past 20 years, who along with the greedy bankers have caused these problems.

I wonder who they'll blame when the power cuts start in about 2015 because of their gross mishandling of the energy crisis?

Archived