A Truly Unsustainable Pension Fund

Guest sibon

Forces pensions are now paid at age 55.

Non contributory? - So, when the 'military salary' was introduced in 1970, why did the MOD say that my (real) pay had been reduced by the 9% they had deducted from the gross to reflect my contribution to the pension scheme?

Can you quantify the difference between the pension of an enlisted man and that of an officer? - Both are based on final salary and the number of years served.

Officers have an Optional Retirement point at age 38 or after 16 years service after the age of 21. (Whichever is the later.) That retirement point was set by the government to allow them to reduce the force. The argument was (when I was in the Air Force) 'We don't want a glut of over-40 year old personnel blocking the way for younger people. If we retire you at age 38, you have a chance of re-qualifying and getting a decent job before you are 40'. (Which was deemed as being the age at which your employment prospects were likely to fall considerably.)

i;ve just read the facts on the bbc website, it says non contributory for the mod, doesnt mention any old deals, so there you go.

and honestly, i cant see why anyone should be able to retire at 38 in any profession. barmy. 60 yrs imho should be the age for ALL pension schemes, public or private, and people should if need be pay much more in for longer to fund it.

the private sector is also its own worst enemy, pension funds would be viable if labour hadnt allowed companies to rape their own funds and take out excesses built up within them

its all fairly barmy imho and hopefully some common sense and agreement will be reached rather than just trying to force stuff thro. i can see everyone (other than police who cant strike) taking action against this and the country will be in a poor state.

Guest sibon
Forces pensions are now paid at age 55.

Non contributory? - So, when the 'military salary' was introduced in 1970, why did the MOD say that my (real) pay had been reduced by the 9% they had deducted from the gross to reflect my contribution to the pension scheme?

But they are non-contributory in the sense that a pension contribution isn't taken from the pay packets of soldiers and airmen. I suspect that this has been used to exaggerate the differential between payments into pension funds and their liabilities.

The calculation has also been conveniently made against the background of low interest rates. A double whammy if you like. And one that makes a difficult situation look like a crisis.

Meanwhile, the politicians who make these "difficult decisions" are sitting on a truly gold plated pension, underwritten by the taxpayer and hoping that nobody notices.

But they are non-contributory in the sense that a pension contribution isn't taken from the pay packets of soldiers and airmen. I suspect that this has been used to exaggerate the differential between payments into pension funds and their liabilities.

The calculation has also been conveniently made against the background of low interest rates. A double whammy if you like. And one that makes a difficult situation look like a crisis.

Meanwhile, the politicians who make these "difficult decisions" are sitting on a truly gold plated pension, underwritten by the taxpayer and hoping that nobody notices.

thats very true and very unfair. i also understand that some of the MPs (speaker) can claim a full pension after just ONE day in office, regardless of how long they stay in the job!:loopy:

Guest sibon
Spot on Sibon. What's good for the goose....

Funny how HM Opposition haven't raised the point either. It would make an interesting debating point, don't you think?

Guest sibon
They should take a leaf out of this guys book, that's leadership. He's still on a very good wage, even after taking a voluntary 22% pay cut.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12621001

He is, but he also does a massively important and difficult job.

Rather his huge salary than Fred Goodwin's pension, for example. Both of us pay for both of them.

Archived