Cyclists and road rage..

cyclist annoy drivers because some of them obstruct people from getting places i find that cyclists in sheffield like 60mph roads this is what drivers find annoying when we have to do 10mph if that behind someone who doesn't give a crap about car drivers and the most annoying are the ones that dont wear any protective gear and then when they wear full black an dget knocke off they moan like hell to insurance companies and also one thing is this slogan 'the zero emmision option' which i find to be a load of ollocks because they dont make any but the drivers they force to slow down and cause more in low gears, i was on the A61 westwood new road near the jet at high green and there was 1 cyclist not keeping to side and he made a fuel lorry, about 15 cars, 4 vans and a few small lorrys all slow down this would have put emmisions up stupid amounts, to stop annoying drivers they need to stop at red lights and avoid roads where they can't get anywhere near the speed limit, sheffield is stupid enough for traffic in a morning we dont need cyclists holding it up even more because most drivers including myself like to exercise the right of 'the national speed limit'!

The right of the what now? The speed limit is the maximum speed you are lawfully permitted to travel on a given stretch of road, it isn't, not a minimum speed that you have a divine right to proceed at at all times.

Your pitiful attempt to argue that cyclists cause congestion is just laughable. When I cycle round sheffield I glide through traffic jam after jam caused by the sheer number of motor vehicles trying to drive & park here. If I exchanged my bike for a car I'd be adding to the congestion not reducing it.

You are more likely to be killed by a golf ball or a bumble bee than a cyclist. The risk just does not exist.

Cobblers. I had my leg fractured by a cyclist being stupid and cycling on the pavement at high speed. Should I have not remonstrated with him and took him to the cleaners because drivers are usually the ones at fault?

cyclist annoy drivers because some of them obstruct people from getting places i find that cyclists in sheffield like 60mph roads this is what drivers find annoying when we have to do 10mph if that behind someone who doesn't give a crap about car drivers and the most annoying are the ones that dont wear any protective gear and then when they wear full black an dget knocke off they moan like hell to insurance companies and also one thing is this slogan 'the zero emmision option' which i find to be a load of ollocks because they dont make any but the drivers they force to slow down and cause more in low gears, i was on the A61 westwood new road near the jet at high green and there was 1 cyclist not keeping to side and he made a fuel lorry, about 15 cars, 4 vans and a few small lorrys all slow down this would have put emmisions up stupid amounts, to stop annoying drivers they need to stop at red lights and avoid roads where they can't get anywhere near the speed limit, sheffield is stupid enough for traffic in a morning we dont need cyclists holding it up even more because most drivers including myself like to exercise the right of 'the national speed limit'!

I tried reading that twice then gave up :roll:

Cyclists can and do cause accidents, and they more than anybody are at risk when those accidents happen. I’m not sure about there being a mandatory proficiency test for people to ride on public roads, but they should have some form of 3rd party liability insurance and perhaps that would be much reduced if they had a proficiency certificate. A cyclist can go a whole lot faster than somebody on a restricted 50cc moped, but can’t slow down as quickly and can cause plenty of havoc if irresponsible.

If we insist on the moped being insured, why not the bicycle?

I can honestly say that i have never known a cyclist actually cause an accident.

Yes. A cyclist can go a lot quicker than a 50cc moped. I believe the record is over 100mph now. That doesn't mean cyclists actually do these speeds though. From 30 mph to 0 i would say my bike will stop in much the same time as any moped in ideal conditions (IE: Not wet road surfaces).

Cobblers. I had my leg fractured by a cyclist being stupid and cycling on the pavement at high speed. Should I have not remonstrated with him and took him to the cleaners because drivers are usually the ones at fault?

Yes you should have.

I admit that there are idiot cyclists who do flout rules, but I don't know what level of abuse they get and whether it is justified.

I do know, however, that I have had crazy experiences of people taking exception to me cycling perfectly legally and safely. So for instance, a van driver stopping at a red light, and then deciding to go through it after all in order to lecture me about how I was a danger to myself and other people because I "undertook" him (hey maybe it was Glamrocker).

I've also had a guy try to know me off my bike because he objected to me being in the bus lane that he wanted to zoom down.

Seriously, as long as the argument is about things like who goes through the most red lights then it's going nowhere. Some cyclists think it's OK to go through red lights because they're not a car (I'm not one of them on legal grounds, however I do recognise the fact that they are in a much better situation to make a judgement about the safety of such a manoeuvre than a driver would be). On the other hand, it seems to be tacitly assumed by drivers nowadays that the first two or three of them to reach a red light can go through.

I think everyone using the road should have a right to get a bit angry. I'm still peeved about the craziest manoeuvre I've ever experienced on Friday evening. Cycling here having turned onto the road a couple of hundred yards back, I indicate, clearly, and in good time to turn right. I'm aware that there's a car behind me, but there's nothing coming from in front so I get in position to turn right. I'm just in the red box on the verge of turning when I hear acceleration from the car behind and think "surely not", slamming on the brakes just in time for the car behind to overtake me on the right. The lady in the car showed no shame at all - had it not been that I've got fairly good reactions then she'd have hit me side-on at a good speed. It didn't help that she'd got a "Baby on Board" sticker as well.

So, yes, sure people should be able to respond to bad road-use. However, it needs to be controlled and not more dangerous than what they're getting angry about. Ie. it should either be reactive safe road-use, or verbal - and actually verbal response should bear in mind that where lack of awareness or nervousness have been the problem then shaking up the other road-user emotionally will be counter-productive.

I’ve seen a few documentaries/news stories on cyclists being harassed/verbally abused/assaulted by angry drivers who seem to be offended at having to share their space on the road with someone else, especially a cyclist. Seeing the head cam footage of some of the stuff has been scary and quite rightly, the assailants have been up in court.

However my question is this:

Do some cyclists bring it on themselves?

This isn’t a question designed to stir up anger (but I fear it will anyway) but through discussions with friends and family and personal experience I have noticed some worrying behaviour from cyclists.

Take this morning for example, I was approaching a T-junction and had stopped at the “Stop” sign (not a giveway sign) and there was a line of 4 cars approaching when a cyclist appeared from behind me and carried straight on through the stop sign without appearing to slow down. Now the speed he was travelling caused him to ride into the middle of the road meaning the line of cars had to brake unnecessarily…

Last weekend I was out in the Peak District and the number of cyclists who ride two even 3 abreast is unbelievable. I know there are probably more bikes than cars on the roads up there at weekends but cyclists should not be riding like this anywhere!

Finally and perhaps worst was an example given to me by a friend is of a guy on a bike who ran a red light and was hit by a car coming through a set of lights at 90 degrees to him. Thankfully no one was injured but the cyclist had the cheek to blame the car driver despite running the red light. I have seen cyclists show a blatant disregard for red lights all to often, as I’m sure many of you have.

This isn’t to say that cyclists are demons and most of them do seem to take their safety into account at all times but when things do go wrong everyone is quick to blame the driver when in actual fact it isn’t always that simple.

Any thoughts?

I hate cyclists on the road when I am trying to get to work. They delay traffic, rarely stop at red lights and are a hazzard for other drivers. Not only that when you pass them quite a few seem horrified that you have done it. If they want to ride around in a city where there isn't much room that's up to them they shouldn't be allowed to ride their bikes at rush hour!

Trig

Archived