Cyclists and road rage..

Wow, that's spectular - you've managed to contradict yourself in the space of a single sentence!

Wouldn't be the first time but I meant that bikes are a great form of recreation but are nothing more than a hazzard and annoyance at really busy times on the road.

Trig

Wouldn't be the first time but I meant that bikes are a great form of recreation but are nothing more than a hazzard and annoyance at really busy times on the road.

Trig

Well, I find mine a really useful way of getting to/from work, so that's one more thing than a hazzard (sic) and annoyance.

And obviously cars aren't a hazard and annoyance ever? ;)

Well, I find mine a really useful way of getting to/from work, so that's one more thing than a hazzard (sic) and annoyance.

And obviously cars aren't a hazard and annoyance ever? ;)

I didn't mean to offend anyone but I am a bit fed when every morning several bikes will come down the bus lane next to traffic at the lights then go through the lights when they change delaying all the cars.

What I really hate though is where there isn't much space and I pass a cyclist safely and they look at me like I'm in their way. Car drivers pay road tax and so should be able to use said roads without hinderance.

I didn't mean to offend anyone but I am a bit fed when every morning several bikes will come down the bus lane next to traffic at the lights then go through the lights when they change delaying all the cars.

I'm not offended. I do think you shouldn't be eating whilst driving though ;)

What you've described is exactly what a cyclist should be doing. Seriously, you are the first driver on SF that I've seen complaining about cyclists waiting for lights to turn to green!

What I really hate though is where there isn't much space and I pass a cyclist safely and they look at me like I'm in their way. Car drivers pay road tax and so should be able to use said roads without hinderance.

This is where your mistake is - if you can recognise that there isn't much space, it probably isn't safe to overtake. See Highway Code rule 163.

I'm not offended. I do think you shouldn't be eating whilst driving though ;)

What you've described is exactly what a cyclist should be doing. Seriously, you are the first driver on SF that I've seen complaining about cyclists waiting for lights to turn to green!

This is where your mistake is - if you can recognise that there isn't much space, it probably isn't safe to overtake. See Highway Code rule 163.

I think I missed my point there slightly, as you say possibly whilst eating! Every morning I will pull up behind traffic and a cyclist or two will pass me on the inside. They can see there isn't much room ahead and so you would think that sense should dictate they wait for the cars to set off and pass them rather than put themselves at risk.

Why should we be delayed by people who don't pay tax on the roads.

I also think its a real shame that cyclists aren't allowed on the pavements anymore as at that time in the morning I think it would be a lot safer for everyone.

I think I missed my point there slightly, as you say possibly whilst eating! Every morning I will pull up behind traffic and a cyclist or two will pass me on the inside. They can see there isn't much room ahead and so you would think that sense should dictate they wait for the cars to set off and pass them rather than put themselves at risk.

That's a fair point. If there really isn't much space then yes, they should wait.

Why should we be delayed by people who don't pay tax on the roads.

I just hope for your sake that you are joking there!

I also think its a real shame that cyclists aren't allowed on the pavements anymore as at that time in the morning I think it would be a lot safer for everyone.

Pedestrians might disagree.

Sorry as you seem very reasonable but I wasn't joking, it annoys me being held up constantly by people who don't pay to maintain the roads!

Oh the ignorance. :)

How do you know that cyclists don't pay INCOME TAX?

Or perhaps you could tell us precisely who does pay to maintain the roads and which fund / tax it comes from?

Sorry as you seem very reasonable but I wasn't joking, it annoys me being held up constantly by people who don't pay to maintain the roads!

I'm also sorry, as you do seem very reasonable too. The fact is that there is no tax paid specifically by drivers for the upkeep of roads. If there was then a majority of cyclists would pay it due to the fact that they also drive.

My flippancy was based on there being a bit of a tradition on SF for threads to end up here.

Oh the ignorance. :)

How do you know that cyclists don't pay INCOME TAX?

Or perhaps you could tell us precisely who does pay to maintain the roads and which fund / tax it comes from?

Road tax maintains road. The footpaths are maintained by council, not very well admittedly. I'm not sure that cyclists need to pay road tax but they sure need insurance as most of them at some point ride on footpaths and should have to compensate the pedestrians they knock over or the wing mirrors they knock off parked cars but that would be more difficult to prove unless we stand outside watching our cars:D

Archived