Cyclists and road rage..

What you appear to mean is that it has an impact between your ears but nowhere else that is tangible because neither you nor anyone else is actually delayed by a cyclist.

On your other point my little munchkin I'm a very happy cyclist because my average commute is always 13 minutes on the pushbike (5 miles) door to door against 25 minutes in the car at best before I start to think about parking.

Now far be it for me to suggest that one of us is smarter and has got a better deal than the other but it should have any bright person thinking shouldn't it?

What you appear to mean is that it has an impact between your ears but nowhere else that is tangible because neither you nor anyone else is actually held up by a cyclist.

On your other point my little munchkin I'm a very happy cyclist because my average commute it always 13 minutes on the pushbike (5 miles) door to door against 25 minutes in the car at best before I start to think about parking.

Well sweetie pie, that sounds very nice, my average is about 1 1/2 unless going south and that is without the trauma that is parking at any NHS hospital in the UK!

It is just an oppinion that either better provision should be made to keep cyclists away from motorists or not allow them on the roads during peak times. I'm not the only I person I know who is annoyed by them.

Sorry if that offends!

It doesn't offend me at all. I'm very happy for you to be in your car even if you are getting in my way when I choose not to use mine. I'll be there before you so why should I care if you happen to overtake at some point?

Isn't it getting through yet? At what point will you catch on that bikes are the superior personal transport in cities?

It doesn't offend me at all. I'm very happy for you to be in your car even if you are getting in my way when I choose not to use mine. I'll be there before you so why should I care if you happen to overtake at some point?

Isn't it getting through yet? At what point will you catch on that bikes are the superior personal transport in cities?[/QUOT

They aren't! They are dangerous, often ridden by people unaware of their surroundings and in a city like Sheffield where the roads aren't all set up for bikes, shouldn't be used.

Also there is no way on earth you would get to any of the places I work before me, the closest being rotherham!

I don't exaclty how you would like me to quantify it as I have never had the pleasure of a trip anywhere without being stuck behind someone on two wheels. The only example I can think of is that travelling down the wicker this morning at 30mph, came up behind a cyclist where it wasnt safe to pass them so I was then stuck doing 5mph. Surely you can equate this reduction in speed to an overall increase in the time my journey took?

Let's just imagine how the scenario played out a few seconds later though.

You reached a point where it was safe to pass. You passed the cycle.

10 seconds later you caught up with the traffic in front.

30 seconds after that they cyclist passed you queueing at a set of traffic lights. Exactly where you would have been had the cyclist not existed...

Overall delay caused by cyclists. Zero seconds.

Is that roughly how it went?

They aren't! They are dangerous

Bikes themselves? Less so than cars I'd suggest.

, often ridden by people unaware of their surroundings

Highly unlikely. Your average cyclists is far more aware of their surroundings than your average motorist. Hell, that even applies to me when on my bike compared to in my car.

and in a city like Sheffield where the roads aren't all set up for bikes, shouldn't be used.

Set up?

I'm confused as to what set up is required for a road to be used by a bike. The normal set up of tarmac, some white lines, other stuff, that's good enough for me, always has been.

Also there is no way on earth you would get to any of the places I work before me, the closest being rotherham!

And do you see many cyclists whilst using A roads and motorways? Or are the huge delays they cause you imaginary?

30 seconds after that they cyclist passed you queueing at a set of traffic lights. Exactly where you would have been had the cyclist not existed...

Roughly, although...picture this. The cyclist wasn't there so I didn't slow down and went through before the lights changed from green with that set of lights and the next as there was no cyclists to go past me at the lights. By the time reached work I might have been half an hour earlier than usual and a lot happier benefiting everyone!

I don't think Mr Trigger is going to be one who lets reality get in the way of an unfounded whine against cyclists. He either hasn't joined his thinking up, or knows exactly what's what and is just out for a wind up.

They aren't! They are dangerous, often ridden by people unaware of their surroundings and in a city like Sheffield where the roads aren't all set up for bikes, shouldn't be used.

Dear chap, Rotherham centre takes me around 35-40 minutes at most on the bike from right over at the west side of Sheffield. How long does it take you in the car at best?

Surely the penny must drop between your ears at some time?

Bikes themselves? Less so than cars I'd suggest.

Highly unlikely. Your average cyclists is far more aware of their surroundings than your average motorist. Hell, that even applies to me when on my bike compared to in my car.

Set up?

I'm confused as to what set up is required for a road to be used by a bike. The normal set up of tarmac, some white lines, other stuff, that's good enough for me, always has been.

And do you see many cyclists whilst using A roads and motorways? Or are the huge delays they cause you imaginary?

You also seem quite upset by one mans oppinion?

I have seen cyclists unaware turn in to traffic. I was in my friends care when a cyclist under took her at a round about where she was turning left and he ended up on the bonnet.

I travel a lot with work and in many other countries there are properly segregated lanes for cyclists often going through the city by a different route to that taken by cars.

Again its just my oppinion, it annoys me that people have to wait because of some fool either unaware or selfish to allow traffic past. As I said my oppinion of cyclists is mirrored by that of people driving heavy machinery at 8 in the morning!

Archived