Cyclists and road rage..

Dear chap, Rotherham centre takes me around 40 minutes at most on the bike from right over at the west side of Sheffield. How long does it take you in the car at best?

Surely the penny must drop between your ears at some time?

True.

Last time I rode from the SW of Sheffield to Rotherham took pretty much 40-45 minutes!

Dear chap, Rotherham centre takes me around 35-40 minutes at most on the bike from right over at the west side of Sheffield. How long does it take you in the car at best?

Surely the penny must drop between your ears at some time?

What is your obsession about between my ears?

I am genuinely shocked that it takes you 35-40 minutes to reach Rotherham as that is roughly what it takes me, which makes no sense. If thats true I think we should put you in the 2012 olympics!

What is your obsession about between my ears?

I am genuinely shocked that it takes you 35-40 minutes to reach Rotherham as that is roughly what it takes me, which makes no sense. If thats true I think we should put you in the 2012 olympics!

If that bit of information shocks you, then do you not think that there may be other things about cycling, cyclists abilities, the law etc etc which may also shock and surprise you? After all, you thought it impossible to do Tony's journey by bike in that time.

If that bit of information shocks you, then do you not think that there may be other things about cycling, cyclists abilities, the law etc etc which may also shock and surprise you? After all, you thought it impossible to do Tony's journey by bike in that time.

Eh? I drive from woodseats to Rotherham Hospital and it takes me that time. I can't accept you can do that journey by bike in the same amount of time...

You might wish to exercise your spatial awareness a bit, then, and, maybe, reassess your perceptions regarding cyclists. That journey would require an average speed of around 20 miles an hour; easily achievable by a relatively fit cyclist.

You might wish to exercise your spacial awareness a bit' date=' then, and, maybe, reassess your perceptions regarding cyclists. That journey would require an average speed of around 20 miles an hour; easily achievable by a relatively fit cyclist.[/quote']

Ahh yes I forgot tehy don't stop at red lights!

people driving heavy machinery at 8 in the morning!

Hi again MrTrigger.

You've mentioned this a couple of times, I notice. I must admit, I used share your frustration on this matter when I was a little less mature.

I found my attitude changed almost instantly when some wise old owl asked me the question I'm about to ask you.

Why, at that moment in time, do you feel your journey is more important than that of the heavy machinery driver?

Ah; you don't understand averages either' date=' then.[/quote']

I understand averages quite well thank you. There is no way I can answer the question as to why my journey is more important without sounding very superior and pompous. However if I was driving a vehicle with maximum speed well below that expected on public roads I would endeavour to transport that vehicle at times with fewer road users. Do you not think that is a fairer method of moving large equipment?

Tom

I understand averages quite well thank you. There is no way I can answer the question as to why my journey is more important without sounding very superior and pompous.

Tom

Yeah, precisely; self reflection's fun, isn't it?

Do you not think that is a fairer method of moving large equipment?

Tom

I couldn't possibly answer that question properly without knowing the precise reason that any particular vehicle is on the road at that precise moment in time. Factors like how far it's travelled, where it needs to be and for what reason and so on.

As a simplistic response, however, I guess it depends on your definition of fair. If you think making somebody work antisocial hours so that you can have five minutes longer in bed is fair then, possibly, and assuming no other logistical factors, yes. What do you think?

Archived