Is Satan really a bad person?

Google is your friend as they say. :)

http://www.abecedarian.org/Pages/namesofsatan.htm

Thankyou, that is indeed a list of alternate names for Satan. It does not make him evil though does it.

Do I get a prize?

You win a framed copy of "THE" photograph which Grahame was offering to distribute a while back :o

The people of the Old Testament were polytheistic. They worshipped many false gods which is why the first three of the Ten Commandments are what they are : - 1. to have no other gods besides Jehovah (the One God); 2. to make no images of anything in heaven or on earth, or in the water under the earth, and not to worship idols; 3. not to use the name of God for evil purposes.

As is often said there can be only one God and if Satan is evil then presumably God is good unless it is a false god for which there are many names.

Unless it is identified by name, for example Baal or Moloch then it is simply called God or Lord and this is always the case when there is war, death and destruction for example in 2nd Samuel 5:20 King David gives credit to his LORD BAAL for his victories and called the place after the name of his LORD who he was following at that particular time which was BAAL.

20 “And David came to Baalperazim, and David smote them there, and said, The LORD hath broken forth upon mine enemies before me, as the breach of waters. Therefore he called the name of that place Baalperazim.”

When you see the words God or Lord in the Old Testament be careful you don’t associate it with the true God who is the God of the New Testament and who is vastly different from the gods of the Old Testament. Yes Satan is evil you have been reading about him in the Old Testament. All I can do is ask that you are not deceived.

The people of the Old Testament were polytheistic. They worshipped many false gods which is why the first three of the Ten Commandments are what they are : - 1. to have no other gods besides Jehovah (the One God); 2. to make no images of anything in heaven or on earth, or in the water under the earth, and not to worship idols; 3. not to use the name of God for evil purposes.

As is often said there can be only one God and if Satan is evil then presumably God is good unless it is a false god for which there are many names.

Unless it is identified by name, for example Baal or Moloch then it is simply called God or Lord and this is always the case when there is war, death and destruction for example in 2nd Samuel 5:20 King David gives credit to his LORD BAAL for his victories and called the place after the name of his LORD who he was following at that particular time which was BAAL.

20 “And David came to Baalperazim, and David smote them there, and said, The LORD hath broken forth upon mine enemies before me, as the breach of waters. Therefore he called the name of that place Baalperazim.”

When you see the words God or Lord in the Old Testament be careful you don’t associate it with the true God who is the God of the New Testament and who is vastly different from the gods of the Old Testament. Yes Satan is evil you have been reading about him in the Old Testament. All I can do is ask that you are not deceived.

Really? I thought the word Ba'al translated as "Lord"?

It's SOOOOOOOOOO Grahame!

Why should we think Satan is evil?

From the start of this thread you've basically said "He just IS!"

Also, it seems to me that most people just ASSUME that these other names refer to Satan. You gave me a link earlier to a site, but other than the editor of that site's own opinion, there was nothing to say in the sources given to clarify it was actually about Satan.

It does. So when "Lord" appears in the Bible it could be Baal and not Almighty God as people assume.

Look at the words in bold, it works both ways.

Archived