Is Satan really a bad person?

Chorba can we just clarify this, you answered this:

You've just forgot a detail, the REASON we should think he is evil.

Also, in one post you say Satan is a metaphor for evil, in another post you say that God created Satan.

Your logic says that God created evil. Nice one God.

with this:

Like I said evil is Satan and Satan is evil.

From a religious point of view you can't dissociate the two. If Satan is not evil the he is not Satan, call him George, Adrew etc etc.

Of course.

That is why we have free will.

Does that mean you believe God created evil?

Abridged from Eastons Bible Dictionary.

Satan is the adversary and accuser. He is also called "the dragon," "the old serpent" "the prince of this world" "the god of this world" and "the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience"

He is full of falsehood and all malice, he encourages evil in every possible way." He is a "roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." Men are said to be "taken captive by him." Christians are warned against his "devices" and called on to "resist" him. Satan has the "power of death," as executioner.

So, what you're saying is that he's God. Which I've been saying since I made that realisation at about eight!

That does make a lot of sense...

We read in I Corinthians 14:33 that God is not the author of confusion. God is the author of peace. God is the author of order and of law. Satan was created perfect and Ezekiel 28:15 tells us he was blameless in all his ways from the day you were created till he became wicked. Then in Isaiah 14 we read how Satan said in his heart, “I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High.”

It goes on to tell us : But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit. Those who see you stare at you and say “Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?” (The Israilites.) All the kings of the nations lie in state, each in his own tomb. But you are cast out of your tomb like a rejected branch; you are covered with the slain, with those pierced by the sword, those who descend to the stones of the pit. Like a corpse trampled underfoot, you will not join them in burial, for you have destroyed your land and killed your people.

And then you ask "Is Satan really a bad person?" The answer is a resounding YES.

I've just had a good read through that, not of it makes him evil though does it? Instead of big copy and pastes, can you single out one line and explain WHY that line means he is evil?

Abridged from Eastons Bible Dictionary.

Satan is the adversary and accuser. He is also called "the dragon," "the old serpent" "the prince of this world" "the god of this world" and "the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience"

He is full of falsehood and all malice, he encourages evil in every possible way." He is a "roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." Men are said to be "taken captive by him." Christians are warned against his "devices" and called on to "resist" him. Satan has the "power of death," as executioner.

Heresay and accusations without any examples.

Says the religious books.

So just the usual rubbish then.

You can't think about Satan outside the context of religions.

This is a thinking exercise, the thread assumes the validity of the christian god.

Can someone clarify who/what is Satan for a non believer?

Nothing. It doesn't exist (as with god).

<snip>drivel</snip>

Nothing in your post answers the post you quoted.:confused::loopy:

According to the comments on here about Satan, it seems that no one can actually give a reason why we should think Satan is evil, other than a lot of name-calling. I imagine that if he were to encounter one of these people they wouldn't even give him a chance to be nice if he wanted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris hears a knock at the door:

Satan- Hi, I'm Satan, I found this wallet at the end of your path with your adress inside it. There's over a grand in cash too! To be honest I was just gonna take it but I saw you looking out of the window at me so I thought I'd better hand it in :blush:

Chris- THOU ART SATAN!!! Foul beast! Thy trickery doth not fooleth me!!

Satan- What? Oh you're one of them? Great :roll:

Look, they say allsorts about me in the bible but if you have a good

read you'll notice that there is actually very little substance to the

name-calling. Yeah I'm a bit selfish and vain, but can you honestly

give me an account of anything worse that I'm guilty of?

Chris- Your lies do not decieve me!!! Lord God give me strength in my hour

of temptation!!! :rant:

Satan- I haven't lied, I'm just here to give you your wallet back. Don't you

want it? there's a lot of money in it. :huh:

Chris- LIES AND DECEIPT!!! I will not succumb to your temptations!!! :rant:

Satan- *Sighs* Okay last chance, I'm going to leave with the money if you

don't just take it :|

Chris- You are the Destroyer!!!

Satan- Oh come on now! What have I destroyed? You're just accepting the

things they say about me without thinking about it! Apart from the

"Satan is this, Satan is that..." can you honestly say you KNOW I've

done anything really evil? :help:

Chris- *Clutches bible and trembles* The Lord as my shepherd.....

Satan- *walks away with the money* :loopy:

So, what you're saying is that he's God. Which I've been saying since I made that realisation at about eight!

That does make a lot of sense...

Your post does not make a lot of sense I am sorry to say, especially as I presume you are an atheist which means you do not believe in any deity, in which case it is silly to say that satan is god which is an acknowledgement of both deities.

People seem very confused on this forum I have to say.

If you don't believe in god or satan then the question doesn't make sense.
Yes it does, it is perfectly possible to discuss the actions and motivations of a fictional character without believing that they are real.

If you do believe then by definition Satan is evil as stated in the religious books. You either believe it or you don't..

No that's not good enough, people aren't evil because someone says they are, people are evil because of their actions.

The point being made is that as far as we can tell Satan has never done anything anywhere near as bad as god's worst actions like killing children, genocide, commanding people to take sex-slaves etc.

Archived