Is Satan really a bad person?

I don't where the problem is.

Satan is bad.

It is not hard to comprehend.

The problem is statements like yours.

If a total stranger said to you "That kid over there's a bad'un" would you just accept it or would you ask "why?"

If the stranger replied "He just is, is that so hard to comprehend?" would that then convince you?

"He just is" is also Grahame/Agbus's argument. I don't expect you to read through the entire thread but so far, 1243 posts in, the only reason given is "he just is". You will also see many examples of much worse atrocities by God (according to the bible) in this thread, but when this is mentioned it just upsets the people who say "He just is".

To someone who doesn't believe in God, the situation presented by the bible is that Satan is supposed to be evil, but hardly does anything, whereas God kills many thousands and hands out all kinds of nasty punishments to innocents. That's why I ask the question.

Just curious, but does anyone have any idea how much Satan features in Islamic culture? ie in comparison to several branches of Christianity using him frequently as the boogie man to scare people into "being good"?

As far as I'm aware Satan doesn't appear in Judaism.

Satan does appear in Judaism. in the story of the forbidden fruit (I could stand to be corrected on that one) and definitely in the book of Job.

Oh. Lucifer in person.

You either believe that satan exists or you don't.

If you believe it exists (like religious texts claim) then you can't dissociate it from evil.

i think the point you're missing is that if you look at the actions in the bible ( the old testament particularly), then god comes off significantly worse than satan. God is jealous, vengeful, racist, brutal, genocidal.

Satan never seems to do anything quite so bad.

Archived