Is Satan really a bad person?

Satan does appear in Judaism. in the story of the forbidden fruit (I could stand to be corrected on that one) and definitely in the book of Job.

The Assyrians, Babylonians, and the Akkadians took the word Suen and transformed it into the word Sin as their favorite name for the Moon-God. As Prof. Potts pointed out, "Sin is a name essentially Sumerian in origin which had been borrowed by the Semites. "

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm

If he is not evil then he is not satan.

I think the relevant question is not why is satan bad but rather, why believe in satan.

Once again, you're saying "he just is" without any reason.

If you say "why believe in Satan" then why believe in God?

Oh. Lucifer in person.

You either believe that satan exists or you don't.

If you believe it exists (like religious texts claim) then you can't dissociate it from evil.

If you don't believe it exist then you can give it any attributes you want. He could be tinky winky if you want.

Why can't we dissociate him from evil? Once again, you're saying "he just is"

I think this perception is to do with literal interpretation of religious texts which:

a-some non religious people use to ridicule religion

b-(and this is way more dangerous) extremists religious use to justify their horrors

GOOD POINT, the bible (as with all religious texts written by men) is open to interpretation, which means people CHANGE what it says to make sense to THEMSELVES. This applies to all of it, the good and the bad.

If it can't be taken literally, then who is to say who's interpretation is to hold any weight at all?

@rootsbooster: maybe try to rephrase the thread to make it more relevant (by not using the word "person" when referring to satan for example).

No. The thread's been quite successful as it is thank you

Maybe I'll open a thread about satan and call it: "The metaphor of Satan".

You can, but that would have no bearing on this thread at all.

By the way, do you know of any reason why we should think Satan is bad?

Archived