Is Satan really a bad person?

What you are asking about Satan is like asking "do you have a good reason to think god created the universe?"

It's the same kind of question.

It's a belief.

If you are expecting someone to demonstrate by a+b why Satan is evil you are going to have to wait for a very very long time.

Then what reason does that person have for BELIEVING that God created the universe

Just because you regard Satan as a metaphor, don't assume everyone does. Some people think he exists, the same way that some people believe that God exists.

Wasn't Satan the Christian depiction of Pan.

What I find amusing is that at some point in history one of the popes declared him dead (as was introduced by greek mythology, pan was the only god to have died).

Not so long ago the pope declared him at large and meddling.

So keep an eye out for Spring Heeled Jack.

What is satan if he is not evil?

The same as God a construct of an emotional human mind, an excuse for the bad in the world and when things go wrong. If in my mind God is all powerful, loving, caring and fare and my child is born without arms, I can either change the definition of God or construct another entity in my mind as an excuse.

What is satan if he is not evil?

Good, or somewhere in between, obviously.

Hey, if genocide and encouraging people to rape the widows of the men they have just killed in battle (things that god apparently did) are good then surely Satan is even better than that, because he never did anything anywhere near that bad right?

Archived