Is Satan really a bad person?

I don't get you here. Smites on a whim ? Are you referring to text in the bible? If so, can you link it? Cos I cannot mind read what you are on about.

How about God sending bears to kill children because they teased some guy a little bit about being bald?

2 Kings 2

2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them

Surely he can't have been as full of pride as God? He doesn't exactly come across as humble and down to earth does he? What with all the smiting of those who rejected him and stuff.

Yet God is made up of 3 components, isn't he? (I will hold my hands up here, as I do not know the old testament well to the new testament.) Hasn't he made it such that even he himself is checked and verified as to how true he is?

I guess that is why people say, "do you accept God" ? If you do not accept what God is about anyway, then why does it matter to you ? Yet, if you accept God and his "Kingdom", then surely you accept a little bit about what he is about and what he is trying to achieve too ?

There is a definitive moment. Maybe this is the Free Will stage. If you as a non-believer offer to accept God. Then do you not accept everything that he is trying to do and is about ?

I do not know what smiting he had done. Though I can hazard a guess that, he might have gotten rid of those who poses more threat to his Kingdom.

I do not know what smiting he had done. Though I can hazard a guess that, he might have gotten rid of those who poses more threat to his Kingdom.

God kills literally tens of thousands of people in the bible, and not just the enemies of his people, also children, as I have shown up there. He also commands his people to commit genocide on multiple occasions, Satan never did anything anywhere near as bad as that.

Mod note: We've had to delete several posts from this thread for either descending into personal bickering or insulting other users (both past and present). Please debate the topic without resorting to personal insults.

You should read some books on Ethics. It ties in with everything.

You need to change the record. Now you're taking the opportunity to patronise me; as though I know nothing about ethics. Regardless, your statement on ethics bears no relevance to anything. If it suited you, you would have said god transcends ethics...

The rest of your reply borders on hypocrisy. God is either truth or he is not. He's either absolute or he is not.

Like so many before you, you want to have it both ways when it suits you.

As for smiting; go read the bible; it's full of god's whimsical slaughter.

How about God sending bears to kill children because they teased some guy a little bit about being bald?

2 Kings 2

2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them

:hihi: Well, I was going to say that, I am not an avid reader of the bible and studied it indepth. Though I have read the link that you posted.

Do you think that even children mocking and teasing about someone else's misfortune of baldness is right and just ? Which sin did you think they broke ?

From the way that I read that story, I need to know the background to these prophets and who Elijah and Elisha is. All I know is that in the Bible, the stories are threaded through a little bit more and there are a whole lot more background to just the link you posted.

:hihi: Well, I was going to say that, I am not an avid reader of the bible and studied it indepth. Though I have read the link that you posted.

Do you think that even children mocking and teasing about someone else's misfortune of baldness is right and just ? Which sin did you think they broke.

Are you serious? You're judging kids for a bit of infantile mockery! You're trying to ascribe a sin to their actions?

To recap: this is a god people put their faith in!

Do you think that even children mocking and teasing about someone else's misfortune of baldness is right and just ? Which sin did you think they broke ?

It's just kids being kids isn't it, its not right, but its a hell of a lot less wrong than sending bears to kill children. Also, the man was commiting one of the seven deadly sins himself: pride. Most people would just laugh off some gentle ribbing by a group of children, not call upon god to curse them.

From the way that I read that story, I need to know the background to these prophets and who Elijah and Elisha is. All I know is that in the Bible, the stories are threaded through a little bit more and there are a whole lot more background to just the link you posted.
What possible context could making sending bears to kill children ok?

God kills literally tens of thousands of people in the bible, and not just the enemies of his people, also children, as I have shown up there. He also commands his people to commit genocide on multiple occasions, Satan never did anything anywhere near as bad as that.

Well, to be very honest with you. I can see how God works. I do not know the Old Testament way into the New Testament. Though I hazard a guess that the Old Testament is said to be darker by many. If the old testament has a lot of stories about Lucifer and how God created the world in the beginning, then I can see why. Was he not merely building up his tests, and his definition of Sins in the beginning ?

Then in the later new testament, many stories are "cause and effect" of mankind. Or something of that nature. Whether it is Christianity or other religions, there is a causation kind of theory behind them. Actually, if you really want to know this, even in psychology, there is something in parallel which describes the karmic thinking too. You can see the inter-connected relationships.

I do not understand why others do not get the Bible. The way I see it is that. God created his Sins. He then tested this out. In Man, anyone who breaks these sins, if he felt it was just and right, then he will create a situation whereby they would be punished as accordingly to the level as appropiate, right ? I think that those children are the same with the bear. Although, in your mind right now by modern standard it may seem harsh, but a bear out of the woods were probably what is typical to happen, isn't it ?

You need to change the record. Now you're taking the opportunity to patronise me; as though I know nothing about ethics. Regardless, your statement on ethics bears no relevance to anything. If it suited you, you would have said god transcends ethics...

The rest of your reply borders on hypocrisy. God is either truth or he is not. He's either absolute or he is not.

Like so many before you, you want to have it both ways when it suits you.

As for smiting; go read the bible; it's full of god's whimsical slaughter.

Nope. God is not either/or. Do you not get it? To me, it is so simple.

Anyone who breaks a sin. Whack.

Anyone who caused something else to happen, and affected God's overall plan. Whack.

Anyone who go against his own nature, or destiny, and caused harm to others. Whack.

I take it you disagree with the fact that God holds absolute Moral Truth ?

I also get the impression that you seem to imply that you do not understand psychology. Or the reasons why people do things.

Archived