Is Satan really a bad person?

Sorry to derail.

You wrote a sentence "for Chris's sake, you're just making it up as you go along!"

I took that as you acting as if you were outraged. You laughed at that there after and complained that is not what you meant, even though that is what you wrote. :roll:

I didn't complain and I didn't say it's not what I meant. I may be wrong but from the way you write, I don't think english is your first language, this could explain some of the difficulties you have in understanding what people write.

Saying "For Chris's sake!" isn't outrage, do you even know who Chris is?

I said you were making it up because, as a LOT of previous posts show, you seem to interpret what people say into something completely different most of the time.

I threw in the comment about psychology 101, cos I presumed that most people understood the Bible in a similar way. Which is one of moral guidance, and interpretation to make sense of one's life. As it was full of human psychology, and dynamics.

I did not know I had to line by line interpret everything, as I thought you wrote that you had some background on Christianity. But I can see that, whatever you were exposed to, you did not understand it at all. Or maybe to be more fair to you, you interpreted it SO rationally than I thought anyone could for a Bible!

I think you'll find there are MILLIONS of people who think the bible is more than just a metaphor (as you said earlier). Some people believe it wholly, word for word. Some people pick and choose what they want to believe. Some outright reject it all. Others just try and make sense of it the best way they can, by asking questions and trying to seperate fact (if any) from fiction (if any).

I didn't say your idea of Christianity was too 'basic'. It is massively selective, as is your summarising of a multitude of other religions and philosophies in a crass attempt to assert that they are all basically saying the same thing.

What you are ignoring is their massive differences, and you are obscuring this blatant oversight behind a claim of an intuitive understanding of these philosophies which you claim is so profound that you don't even have to read about what you purport to understand so well, as by refering to what the authors of these ideas actually say yopu would be sullying your intuition with vulgar 'semantics'. Pull the other one!

Why are you so angry ? I do not get it.

Maybe you see my actions different to one of the expectation in your mind, as I did say that I am here to "discuss", which part of "discussion" did you not understand ??? I told you of my opinion of how I see Christianity and what little I know of it. Are you holding me ransom and had placed high expectation that I am supposed to be a lecturer or something like that? I can indeed correlate the different ideas, and understanding from my limited exposure. So... again, why the angst ? :roll:

Where did I claim that I have an intuitive understanding of these philosophies ? Please quote me?

All I know is that, I see these different religions in an overview, and I understand the basics of all of them. I do not see a lot of differences as you so describe. If you have been exposed to theology, then you will indeed find that majority of the major religion is indeed similar, and have the fundamental same set of basic constructs. You do not have to take my word for it, but you can read upon it maybe. As I am certain and sure that there are scholars out there now just really analysing the tiny details to death.

The truth is rather different. Claiming that the the Old Testament is expounding the exact same universal and constant 'truths' as Buddhism (because they both refer to unavoidable consequences from actions) is a bit like claiming Fred West and Charlie Chaplin were both motivated by the same desires (because they both liked chocolate).

Moral Truth is universal... There is a subject called "Ethics". This set of ethical values are the same and can be said to translate to be compatible to ALL major religion.

The development, and the interpretation, the practice, in each religion may be different. However, their aim is the same. To live a Moral Life. Do you agree with this point ?

I didn't complain and I didn't say it's not what I meant. I may be wrong but from the way you write, I don't think english is your first language, this could explain some of the difficulties you have in understanding what people write.

Whether English is my first language is really not relevant here. What is obvious to me, and maybe not obvious to you. Is that you are allowing culture, and the way you use the English language to deduce a major topic such as religion into what you like to think of it as. You are not theorising as you think you are. Far from that.

I do not have difficulties in understanding what people mean. There are so many individuals here and there that has already expressed a certain concern on how each thread is taken as a literal debate. That is the issue here. Everything is such a struggle, and people are not even allowed to say what is on their mind, in their own terms, regardless of how much they know about the subject or not.

Saying "For Chris's sake!" isn't outrage, do you even know who Chris is?

Your pet fish ? :roll: OMG.

I said you were making it up because, as a LOT of previous posts show, you seem to interpret what people say into something completely different most of the time.

That is because people do not read what is written and think before they respond. The consideration for the human or the individual do not exist. Not everybody is like yourself wanting a challenging debate, and that brings it across to all kinds of topic.

I think you'll find there are MILLIONS of people who think the bible is more than just a metaphor (as you said earlier). Some people believe it wholly, word for word. Some people pick and choose what they want to believe. Some outright reject it all. Others just try and make sense of it the best way they can, by asking questions and trying to seperate fact (if any) from fiction (if any).

Well, to me, those people who profess that they are Christians, but cannot even understand the basic in order to live their live by it, should not be classed as true Christians then. Cos they are hardly practising the idea of Christianity, are they ? There is a line between wanting to reflect and learn about Christianity, to arguing and fighting in the name of it.

lol. Why the insult?

There is no insult in that post.

lol. So why are you acting as if I am insulting you in any way shape or form ?

You haven't insulted me but...

If I act and behave like you and let the semantic of the language pigeon hole me, then how can one have an open mind? It would be that, one is marginalised in their school of thoughts.

Well, Rationalists do run the world, and look at the mess it causes

I find your insinuations in the above posts patronising in the assumption that those who disagree with you are obviously right brained, blinkered, rationalist bigots, and deeply disengenuous in the implication that the illusive and unconvincing manner in which you present your ideas somehow points to you having a more open mind than the rest of us.

Why use the English language to hold me to ransom and demand an explaination?

There I go using blinkin' language again!

I'm sorry, but until I develop telepathic powers, I'm stuck with having to communicate on the internet through written language. I realise this is very unfair on you.

Whether English is my first language is really not relevant here. What is obvious to me, and maybe not obvious to you. Is that you are allowing culture, and the way you use the English language to deduce a major topic such as religion into what you like to think of it as. You are not theorising as you think you are. Far from that.

I do not have difficulties in understanding what people mean. There are so many individuals here and there that has already expressed a certain concern on how each thread is taken as a literal debate. That is the issue here. Everything is such a struggle, and people are not even allowed to say what is on their mind, in their own terms, regardless of how much they know about the subject or not.

Your pet fish ? :roll: OMG.

That is because people do not read what is written and think before they respond. The consideration for the human or the individual do not exist. Not everybody is like yourself wanting a challenging debate, and that brings it across to all kinds of topic.

Well, to me, those people who profess that they are Christians, but cannot even understand the basic in order to live their live by it, should not be classed as true Christians then. Cos they are hardly practising the idea of Christianity, are they ? There is a line between wanting to reflect and learn about Christianity, to arguing and fighting in the name of it.

There's so much irony in this that it's almost magnetic.

There is no insult in that post.

You haven't insulted me but...

I find your insinuations in the above posts patronising in the assumption that those who disagree with you are obviously right brained, blinkered, rationalist bigots, and deeply disengenuous in the implication that the illusive and unconvincing manner in which you present your ideas somehow points to you having a more open mind than the rest of us.

There I go using blinkin' language again!

I'm sorry, but until I develop telepathic powers, I'm stuck with having to communicate on the internet through written language. I realise this is very unfair on you.

Well, I guess you have to ask yourself why you feel patronised. All I know is that, you express such anger in your post towards me, and I have to ask why. I have no desire to fight with you. Though, I am shocked actually to see that you analyse Christianity into such fine depths and challenge others to that understanding.

I do not know why I am shocked by that actually. I can definitely see why this thread was started though. I see the rationale now. lol.

You do not have to develop telepathic skills, but if you had empathetic skills, then you can so see through religion very very easily, and not rationalise it to death. I mean, presuming if one wants to learn and understand it, but if not, I suppose who cares ?

There's so much irony in this that it's almost magnetic.

2. If this thread starts to offend you or your beliefs in any way, you should probably stop reading it

Erm... :help:

Actually, are you a Christian ? How come you do not understand all of the moral stories in the Bible ?

Sorry, I just did not understand why you did not get the stories...

Erm... :help:

Actually, are you a Christian ? How come you do not understand all of the moral stories in the Bible ?

Sorry, I just did not understand why you did not get the stories...

This is a good example of what I meant when I said that your responses appear to have no relevance to the posts you quote.

This is a good example of what I meant when I said that your responses appear to have no relevance to the posts you quote.

Maybe one day you will understand what true empathy and consideration means. I took offence at you also derailing and asking me something obtuse as whether English is my first language. Though, I did mention that you think in a different to I, and you still have not accepted that at all, and you continue in your mind to search for a reason and rationale as to why I do not understand you. Yet, you are the one who does not seem to understand the simple idea written in the Bible. :confused: I thought you were taking the mick, but you are not !

Never mind. I hope you find the supposed answer that you seem to be looking for. "Is Satan really a bad person" ?

First of all, he was never a person. They were just characters or ideas of conceptual beings. You also do not seem to understand the association when "dark" thoughts enter a person. Is it as bad? Yes, it can be as bad. The accumulation of bad thoughts in one's mind creates a character or psychological state which then overtakes one's demeanor or personality, if you wish to call that. I leave that battle for yourself to fight on. I'm out.

[Added] Also, do not associate long posts that you do not understand as automatic arguments. Cos you wholly missed the intent of the person. As you did not seem to get the subject, using different methods to explain to you, is not being rude, but rather being considerate. Yes, if others did not accept that is the intent, but thinks that others are being more big headed, then I guess, so be it. This is a classic great example for analysis on what Satan means,and how humans are flawed. The intent of one's action to that of others' collective consciousness differs. That is what it is means that humans are flawed no matter what.

Maybe one day you will understand what true empathy and consideration means. I took offence at you also derailing and asking me something obtuse as whether English is my first language. Though, I did mention that you think in a different to I, and you still have not accepted that at all, and you continue in your mind to search for a reason and rationale as to why I do not understand you.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks like you. Further more, I've never met anyone go on a full-scale attack at so many posters then complain that they themselves are insulted by any retaliation.

Yet, you are the one who does not seem to understand the simple idea written in the Bible. :confused: I thought you were taking the mick, but you are not !

Never mind. I hope you find the supposed answer that you seem to be looking for. "Is Satan really a bad person" ?

First of all, he was never a person. They were just characters or ideas of conceptual beings. You also do not seem to understand the association when "dark" thoughts enter a person. Is it as bad? Yes, it can be as bad. The accumulation of bad thoughts in one's mind creates a character or psychological state which then overtakes one's demeanor or personality, if you wish to call that. I leave that battle for yourself to fight on. I'm out.

I think you are the one who is confused, did you read the opening line of the thread?

1. For this one we first have to assume (whether you be religious, atheist or other) that the Christian God exists and that Satan exists, so just go with it if you want to contribute.

Archived