Is Satan really a bad person?

Let me repeat this for you.

I took offence at Rootsbooster's sarcastic comment on post 728.

<snippety blahblah begone>

...As for yourself, you should know what threads of mine you got involved in, and why I am weary of you. The same with Rootsbooster.

You took offence at this.......?

Wow...

Again though, if we are to interpret Satan as a metaphor, are we also to interpret God as a metaphor?

That's the whole post right there, WHAT exactly do you find offensive or sarcastic about it? Seriously, if you're going to keep making such a fuss of things and play the victim, you're going to have to start coming up with some substance to your claims.

If that simple, straight, polite question in post #728 really did offend you so much, then....

1. For this one we first have to assume (whether you be religious, atheist or other) that the Christian God exists and that Satan exists, so just go with it if you want to contribute.

2. If this thread starts to offend you or your beliefs in any way, you should probably stop reading it

EDIT: Just seen Mort's warning, if you read this post clearly you will see that it is not a retaliation or bickering or arguing. I'm trying to clear up just what the problem is here.

he had 10 opportunites to let the nation go , 10 plagues

10 counts of intimidation and terrorism, finally ending with God carrying out his threat of mass infant slaughter. No matter how you put it, the Pharaoh just doesn't look the bad guy in this scenario, if anything you're making God look worse.

Except for that whole slavery thing, of course.

Agreed. On the scale of how bad everyone's actions were though, I'd say the Pharaoh comes second place.

If I was an almighty God, and I felt that death really was necessary to resolve this situation, I think I'd rather kill the Pharaoh rather than innocent children.

10 counts of intimidation and terrorism, finally ending with God carrying out his threat of mass infant slaughter. No matter how you put it, the Pharaoh just doesn't look the bad guy in this scenario, if anything you're making God look worse.

I think a more theological point of view would need to be taken- or at least a proper exegesis to understand the whole issue surrounding Pharoah/ Moses.

I'm no Bible expert or Christian, but from my studies from years gone back, I don't recall seeing the so called 'slaughter' as being on the levels of 'mass slaughter' as you put it. Also, if you compare to the innocent Hebrew infants killed in the infanticide program of the Pharaoh - you will see this number as being far, far more higher.

Finally, I think its also important to understand that innocents dying in this chain of punishments, does not necessarily mean the innocents are being punished for the sins of the nation. The death of these children were not a 'punishment' on them. The same could be said for the innocent Hebrews killed by Pharoah.

God clearly did not do anything on the scale of atrocity that Pharaoh did. He could have wiped all of the children of Egypt out. God's action was a one-time event, which stopped the continuing killing by Pharaoh; Pharaoh's program was every day, every year, every decade.

A bit like what the current Israel nation is doing against the Palestinians..

I think a more theological point of view would need to be taken- or at least a proper exegesis to understand the whole issue surrounding Pharoah/ Moses.

I'm no Bible expert or Christian, but from my studies from years gone back, I don't recall seeing the so called 'slaughter' as being on the levels of 'mass slaughter' as you put it. Also, if you compare to the innocent Hebrew infants killed in the infanticide program of the Pharaoh - you will see this number as being far, far more higher.

Finally, I think its also important to understand that innocents dying in this chain of punishments, does not necessarily mean the innocents are being punished for the sins of the nation. The death of these children were not a 'punishment' on them. The same could be said for the innocent Hebrews killed by Pharoah.

God clearly did not do anything on the scale of atrocity that Pharaoh did. He could have wiped all of the children of Egypt out. God's action was a one-time event, which stopped the continuing killing by Pharaoh; Pharaoh's program was every day, every year, every decade.

Fair enough, now back to being on topic...

Did Satan ever do anything as bad as kill lots of innocent children?

Fair enough, now back to being on topic...

Did Satan ever do anything as bad as kill lots of innocent children?

Aside from possessing a few animals, did he really do anything wrong at all?

He's just the victim of some really harsh propaganda.

Archived