Is Satan really a bad person?

Fair enough, now back to being on topic...

Did Satan ever do anything as bad as kill lots of innocent children?

Well, one would need to understand Satan & God and may be no one really does.

In many religions, Satan is always seen as the destructive, evil force.

This thread could go any direction and also (as has done a few times) off course.

One way to look at it is that the evil done (lets take Pharoah for example as it is linked in the thread regards the 10 punishments afflicted on Egypt) is done by people but the desire and urge is set by Satan. Most Abrahamic religions may give this viewpoint.

Doing good and doing evil is a choice people make- goodness comes from God and evil comes from Satan- if one chooses to follow the whispers of Satan then he/she will ultimately commit evil and wrong- resulting in God's punishment. Even if that may seem harsh to you (when nations suffer- but in case of Pharoah his own suffered as he had made others suffer- God did not wipe out all of Israel did He)? If one does the opposite, and fights/wards off the urge to sin, he/she will ultimately find peace in whatever after life thing they believe in.

That is my view and I can't add more. Sorry.

Doing good and doing evil is a choice people make- goodness comes from God and evil comes from Satan- if one chooses to follow the whispers of Satan then he/she will ultimately commit evil and wrong- resulting in God's punishment.

I don't know if I agree. I think it's like breaking the law. Even if you break the law (AKA committing 'evil') you might not actually be doing anything wrong.

And you can do bad for good reasons.

I don't think it's nearly as black and white as that.

I think you can do good in the name of Satan.

10 counts of intimidation and terrorism, finally ending with God carrying out his threat of mass infant slaughter. No matter how you put it, the Pharaoh just doesn't look the bad guy in this scenario, if anything you're making God look worse.

I am guessing from you posts that you are an atheist yet you say God killed the first born in Egypt. Will you explain please.

That'll get the reactionaries out in force, that will:D.

I'd like to think so...

But it's as though people want to paint Satan as hideously and absolutely evil. He's the blackest of the black, but, I'm sure even Hitler had his soft and gentle side - and although he's considered a monster, he still did some good things.

so yes God did instruct the nation of israel to use warfare to remove people from the land he had promised them, but they had rules of war which included allowing people to come out of the land before they attacked if they so wished and they were given employment within the nation of israel if they rejected there "ungodly" ways and lived by the God of israels laws (the law code leviticus)

What about all the times when he tells them to kill all of the men and the children and to keep the women (presumably as sex slaves)? Did Satan ever do anything that bad?

as regards the death of the firstborn in Egypt this could of been avoided at any time by the pharaoh letting Gods people leave Egypt , so pharoah was responsible for there deaths

Absolute nonsense. You can't blame the Pharoah for something God did. The Pharoah didn't kill them, god killed them.

Also, think about it for a second, you are excusing terrorism. That's exactly what god was doing here, he was saying 'oi! Do what I say or else I will kill your people'

Did Satan ever do anything as bad as being a mass murdering terrorist?

That can't be true, because it would have been impossible for satan to have become evil in the first place. BY definition evil must come from god.

Interesting -can you define more how you think evil comes from god?

Archived