Is Satan really a bad person?

I know what I said- its how you and I understand things. I am looking it at a theistic point of view, whilst you see it from an atheist point.
No not right now, my atheism is completely irrelevant to the current discussion. In fact I'm operating as if I were a theist as part of the hypothetical exercise set down in the OP. I am currently operating under the assumption that god exists, and the bible is true. The fact that that assumption is false is not relevant.

You have claimed that goodness comes from god and evil comes from satan.

My question to you is, where did Satan come from?

Which part? The plagues that afflicted Egypt I am sure you know about- all 3 Abrahamic religions account something about it.

If it was the second part, then I was merely pointing out that to understand the concept of evil, one would need to understand a lot more.

Something I unfortunately don't have time for but either way it will digress from topic.

I was referring to the example you gave of the Pharaoh being influenced by Satan, I didn't know about that. Do you have something I can read about it?

As I've already told you, I'm not an atheist.

As you're completely ignoring the opening post and persisting with this "blaming someone you don't believe in" nonsense, I can only assume that you are trying to derail the thread and get it closed. If you continue I will have no choice but to report it.

You haven't told me. What G/god do you believe in?

As for the OP anyone who influences others to do wrong is bad and that person is Satan, God steps in to sort out the mess and if necessary bang heads together..

This Graham seems a popular chap.

I'm guessing from your posts that you are an atheist which means it is silly to blame God for everything. It is not silly to believe in God, but it is silly to blame someone you do not believe in.

Why have you not had the courtesy to read the actual OP on this thread?

If you had, you'd have realised that this is a "thinking exercise", as you seem incapable of utilising your brain, maybe this kind of thread is not for you. Maybe you should try on along the lines of "what is your favourite cheese".

I was referring to the example you gave of the Pharaoh being influenced by Satan, I didn't know about that. Do you have something I can read about it?

I don't know about that, but the bible does say that the Pharaoh was influenced by god.

The Pharaoh does not have free will, god takes it away from him and makes him refuse to let the Israelites go.

“I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might show these my signs before him” -God

He just wants to show off his cool powers and kill some children, the Pharaoh does not have a choice.

No not right now, my atheism is completely irrelevant to the current discussion. In fact I'm operating as if I were a theist as part of the hypothetical exercise set down in the OP. I am currently operating under the assumption that god exists, and the bible is true. The fact that that assumption is false is not relevant.

You have claimed that goodness comes from god and evil comes from satan.

My question to you is, where did Satan come from?

But that is just a play on words- Atheism embraces the belief in evil without acknowledging or even bothering to investigate its origins which is a basic requirement in a debate of this nature.

However, to give an answer to where Satan came from (if one accepts it exists) then you would need to establish from what angle you're coming from- surely many religions would hold a different view of Satan.

What I believe would be irrelevant.

I don't know about that, but the bible does say that the Pharaoh was influenced by god.

The Pharaoh does not have free will, god takes it away from him and makes him refuse to let the Israelites go.

“I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might show these my signs before him” -God

He just wants to show off his cool powers and kill some children, the Pharaoh does not have a choice.

Pharaoh had ten chances, that is far more lenient than many parents.

Nothing does, but I don't believe in god, so I also can't believe in satan, so there is nothing for me to justify.

But you can't prove nothing gives you the ability to do evil- surely when someone commits evil, they first know the intention of doing it, the thought is manifested within.

Where does this come from?

Archived